Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print translates

Posted by Kalle 
Print translates
November 22, 2016 07:44AM
Hello,
something strange start to happen. My last two prints have both translated after roughly 40 minutes. I am attaching a picture.

I first thought that was a firmware issue, so I flashed back the old marlin version I was successfully using but after a successful print the problem arise again.

Does anyone have a clue on what it can be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 07:44AM by Kalle.

Attachments:
open | download - CIMG1444.JPG (320 KB)
Re: Print translates
November 22, 2016 09:25AM
How are you printing the print? Is it via USB from Repetier Host or are you printing from a file on the SD card?

If you are printing from Repetier with error messages turned on, then is there an error message at the point it all goes wrong? I had been happily turning out prints up to 2 hours long from Repetier up to a couple of days ago, when all of a sudden the software began missing OK messages from the printer and stopped in mid print. This happened two or three times in quick succession and then the following day everything was back to normal. I put that down to temporary USB problems.

If you are printing from SD card, then either the printer is losing its datum point or missing steps, or the slicer has screwed up the gcode file. If the gcode file contains errors then the print will keep going wrong unless re-sliced to produce an error free file.
If you are printing from Repetier Host then it could be either of the above or a USB communications problem (assuming the gcode was error free).

Try seeing if you can get the problem to happen with something like a simple test cube. You should be able to easily read the gcode file in Repetier to see whether you can eliminate slicer problems. If the problem is occurring when printing from Repetier host then copy the file to SD card and see if the problem happens again. If the problem happens when printing from SD card then that eliminates USB coms and starts to point to an intermittent problem on the printer itself (again assuming that the gcode was error free).

Firmware doesn't normally change itself (it has to be specifically written to particular non-volatile memory) although it might refer to values in Eeprom that are getting changed during the print. Did you make any changes to the firmware about the time that the problem surfaced?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 09:31AM by Supermec.
November 22, 2016 10:16AM
Supermec
How are you printing the print? Is it via USB from Repetier Host or are you printing from a file on the SD card?
I am printing from a file on the SD card.

Supermec
If you are printing from SD card, then either the printer is losing its datum point or missing steps, or the slicer has screwed up the gcode file. If the gcode file contains errors then the print will keep going wrong unless re-sliced to produce an error free file.
I think the file is error free since it actually printed one copy without errors yesterday night.

Supermec
Firmware doesn't normally change itself (it has to be specifically written to particular non-volatile memory) although it might refer to values in Eeprom that are getting changed during the print. Did you make any changes to the firmware about the time that the problem surfaced?
I changed the DEFAULT_Kp DEFAULT_Ki and DEFAULT_Kd of both hotend and extruder with the value that marlin returned in pronterface. Can this be a problem? Not in theory right?

I will try a test cube now.

November 22, 2016 10:19AM
Sorry Kalle,

my last response was a bit rambling. Let me try again.

If the problem occurs in mid print then it is unlikely to be a firmware problem, particularly if the print has printed OK previously and you have made no firmware changes in between. Firmware does not normally change itself since it has to be written to specific non-volatile memory and normally requires a loader to do it. It could however be referring to values stored temporarily in Eeprom that are being changed or corrupted.

Why is the print going wrong ? It could be a slicer problem, it could be a USB coms problem it could be an intermittent printer fault. The latter is by far the hardest to deal with so lets start with the easier ones.

So as not to waste too much filament try producing a simple test print and slicing it (with the slicer set for verbose gcode). Inspection of the gcode should show whether the slicer is generating faulty code or not. Print the test file and see if the fault shows up. If it does and the gcode was alright then you know it wasn't the slicer. You can also eliminate slicer problems by re-slicing the code again using a different slicer. Have you made sure that your settings, especially machine settings in the slicer are all correct?

You haven't said how you were printing. If you were printing direct from software and have eliminated the slicer then it could be a USB coms problem (such as I recently encountered). Try copying the gcode to SD card and printing it from there. If the problem has gone away then it could have been due to a USB coms problem (my problem didn't clear until the following day).

Right, if the gcode is OK and the problem still happens printing from SD card then it is almost certainly a printer problem. This would seem to be likely since you say it happens about 40 minutes in when everything (including the electronics) will have warmed up nicely. It could be that the printer is losing its datum (or the datum is being corrupted). It could be that the printer is missing steps. These could be the result of a dry joint or lose connection or simply because a part of the electronics is developing a fault that shows itself when warm. Check all your plugs and connections are good and tight - particularly those to the X and Y steppers. If the fault still occurs then you will have to check the hardware. The simplest way of doing this may be by substitution unless you're an electronics genius.

Adrian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login