Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament accumulation on extruder

Posted by kylepls 
Filament accumulation on extruder
November 19, 2016 01:28AM
Every time I print something I find that there is a large amount of filament clumping to the extruder tip. This sometimes sticks to the print and then ruins the entire thing. I have expierenced this with both ABS and PLA filaments.

I went through and made sure the tip was snug so no filament would slip out of the threads.
Here is the extruder assembly I bought [www.ebay.com]

Thanks in advance smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 01:29AM by kylepls.
Re: Filament accumulation on extruder
November 19, 2016 07:10AM
Have you looked closely at the nozzle and the barrel that it butts up against? Are both surfaces flat so that it will seal when tightened? Did you tighten it while it was hot?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 19, 2016 12:00PM
...and, following from DD's point, you don't normally have a nut on top of the heater block. It's vital that the nozzle tightens against the end of the throat, so there's no particular need for a nut on the throat. Having it there makes it possible to tighten the nozzle against the block instead of the throat and not realise the mistake (if you do that without a nut the block tends to be obviously loose on the throat).
November 19, 2016 08:31PM
Thanks all for your help!

Today I received a new tip in the mail and ended up replacing the old one. The newer tip does not have these issues, so I can only suspect it's something wrong with the tip I bought with the hot end.

Old tip - Note that it looks like filament was getting through the threads, this might have been the issue.

New tip: [www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 08:32PM by kylepls.
November 19, 2016 09:26PM
The nozzle is supposed to butt against the threaded throat tube inside the heater block. If it can't reach the throat tube because it isn't screwed far enough into the block then the filament can leak out around the nozzle's threads. You have a nut on the threaded throat tube that is screwed against the heater block. That nut may prevent the throat tube from going deeply enough into the heater block for the nozzle to butt against it. Try removing the nut or screw the throat tube deeper into the heater block before tightening that nut. When you screw the nozzle into the heater block, it should stop when it hits the throat tube. If the nozzle screws all the way into the heater block, the filament will leak around its threads.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login