Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2100 high pitched noise

Posted by diedirk 
TMC2100 high pitched noise
October 19, 2016 11:10AM
Hi just build a small core-xy it is running a MKS gen 1.4 and TMC2100 driver on 19.5 Volt and in stealthchop my motors work quite well only they get to hot even on the lowest possible setting. So i tried spreadcyclemode now the motors work fine only there is a really loud high pitched noise even if they don't move. The drivers are connected with the CFG pins removed and a jumper from 1 to GND. someone ideas how to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance!
Re: TMC2100 high pitched noise
October 19, 2016 11:39AM
I thin i remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use preselected microstepping with those stepper drivers, but instead set them to use their inner interpolation for better efficiency / improved torque to sound ratio.

I'm not sure how to achieve this setting but reading their datasheet should help : [www.trinamic.com]

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 19, 2016 11:55AM
thanks for info only I think I already have them on interpolation but I appreciate the effortthumbs up
Attachments:
open | download - capture image.png (594.1 KB)
June 08, 2017 09:25AM
I think I've managed to completely kill the noise on my drivers. It turned out that designer put terminals to the PCB to allow the chopper configuration CFG{0,5,6} but their default configuration (no bridges soldered in my case) if very far from the TMC2100 recommended one. So I've put bridges as per the picture to put driver in the recommended configuration, and the noise has gone since then. Additional thing to check is that I've had CFG{1,2} open (as on the picture) so that driver ignored microstepping settings on the module pins and was always working in 16 microsteps stealthChop mode. I had to short them as well to allow microstepping configuration via jumpers on the controller board. Hope this helps to someone.
Note there may be different versions of the driver's PCB so you may need to short different points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 09:26AM by zlowred.
Attachments:
open | download - pa7_M0_FSb_WQA.png (343.7 KB)
July 19, 2017 09:16PM
Just bridged the CFG 0,5,6 on my MKS units and it made a HUGE difference. Thanks a ton! smileys with beer
August 03, 2017 04:29PM
Question:
Do I bridge all three points on the board at CFG 0,5,6? Or just the two shown inside the red box on your photo? Also is there a tips and tricks for doing this? I have never soldered something so tiny before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2017 05:08PM by behnt.
August 03, 2017 06:14PM
No just the one side. AFAIK the center point is floating and one side is Vcc and the other is GND. I didn't have any luck trying to bridge the joints with just solder so I bridged it with very tiny wire and trimmed it after. I used some eye loupes I have for magnification so I could see what I was doing but one of those magnifying glasses with lighting would probably work well too.
August 03, 2017 06:28PM
Perfect thanks. wish me luck
August 04, 2017 03:41PM
I had to increase my motor driver's voltage to 26V before pushing chopper frequency out of audible range. I used a cheap step up regulator and fed into my motor supply directly.
August 04, 2017 04:16PM
This is as far as I have got and it now does not work. Anyone see what I did wrong?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_8805.JPG (405.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login