Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bridging not adhering when using Slic3r

Posted by Daxza 
Bridging not adhering when using Slic3r
October 18, 2016 04:13PM
Hey Guys,

I am having an issue trying to print a part when using Slic3er.

The part in question is the duct from this thing [www.thingiverse.com]

So what happens is it prints perfectly right up until the part where it needs to start bridging at this point the bridge does not adhere to the wall sides and it just makes a mess attempting to print in thin air.
Upon closer inspection of the sliced file you can clearly see a large gap between where the bridging should start, i tried changing all the settings i could find but could not get it to slice correctly.
The interesting thing is slicing this with say Cura does not cause this issue (i cant print with cura as it is not setup for my printer as of yet).

I have attached an image that attempts to show the issue they are screenshots from Repetier.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Attachments:
open | download - slic3r.png (468.6 KB)
Re: Bridging not adhering when using Slic3r
October 18, 2016 04:24PM
This is why I use Cura...
Umm Maybe try to adjust your extrusion width option in Slic3r and see if that makes up for the gap.
October 18, 2016 06:30PM
Slic3r 1.2.7 seems to slice it fine, maybe you're running on an older version that does it differently?
I do notice that it does a thicker inner perimeter for the bridging section though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 06:31PM by FA-MAS.
October 19, 2016 02:04AM
FA-MAS
Slic3r 1.2.7 seems to slice it fine, maybe you're running on an older version that does it differently?
I do notice that it does a thicker inner perimeter for the bridging section though.

[attachment 85074 duct.jpg]

I am using version 1.2.9. However i can still see there is a slight gap in the sliced image you are showing, the angle you have taken the picture at obscures it slightly but it is there.
Also your slic3r seems to generate the bridging at a different angle, i suspect the way it is in yours would be better as it has to bridge a shorter distance (as apposed to the diagonal approach) .
October 19, 2016 07:43AM
Just wondering why Slicer is showing 3 perimeters and cura 2.
So this may be down to what settings you are using in each program.
October 19, 2016 07:51AM
MCcarman
Just wondering why Slicer is showing 3 perimeters and cura 2.
So this may be down to what settings you are using in each program.

It is not quite 3 perimeters, It seems that Cura will bridge directly on to the side wall where slicer first does a single outline (which is part of the bridge, if you inspect the lower layers you will see the walls are only 2 thick) and then starts to infill the rest of the bridge

I think i may try rotate this model on its end and print it vertically so there is no need for any bridging

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 07:52AM by Daxza.
October 19, 2016 11:26AM
I haven't changed anything in Slic3r regarding bridging, it's doing it this way with stock settings. It's doing bridging the way I'd prefer, straight across what needs to be bridged. Here's a better screenshot. No gap.

Edit: Just tried it the same in 1.2.9 and it looks fine here too. Now I am seeing on the Slic3r github that this was broken in the dev version at some point and was then fixed. Maybe you're running on a dev version?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 12:15PM by FA-MAS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login