Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extrusion/Flow issues

Posted by tom_m132 
Extrusion/Flow issues
October 17, 2016 01:15PM
Hello all,

I apologise in advanced for I am somewhat of a dunce when it comes to a lot of this stuff, however I am ever keen to learn particularly in the firmware department!

I have a reprap i3 which I have made a few choice upgrades to, some by choice others necessity. It has an E3D V6 and titan as well has a RAMPS 1.4 set up rather than the board which the printer came with (essentially the same but a one piece board)

I have spent many many hours pulling my hair out and trying to set it all up accordingly, I did think I had it the other day but it turned out my Z steps/mm was way out. This is where my troubles began!

When the Z step/mm was out (by a factor of around 0.5) it printed very nicely, perhaps very slightly low on flow but all in all very well! I have now rectified the fault and the prints are the correct height. However the flow is now way out, the printer is having to carve its way through the previous layer and there are skirts building up at the edge of layers as well as the print head getting covered in plastic!

The extruder is calibrated so it will extrude 100mm when instructed to extrude 100mm, which I initially thought may be the issue, flow is set to 100%, the only way I can get a sensible print is to reduce that to around 75%.

Again, sorry if this is blatantly obvious but I am getting a little frustrated, now a good few months into fettling and yet to achieve a good and correctly sized print!\

Thanks,

Tom
Re: Extrusion/Flow issues
October 17, 2016 02:03PM
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. There are three factors that go into calculating the amount of plastic that gets extruded, the steps per mm, the flow % and the diameter of the filament. If you've checked that your steps per mm is correct (or at least close) and the flow % is 100, then the likely explanation is that the filament diameter is different to what the slicer thinks it is. Do you have a micrometer to measure the diameter with to confirm it's what the vendor claimed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login