Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with homing

Posted by MilloMille 
Problems with homing
October 03, 2016 06:47PM
I just finished building my own 3D Printer with threaded rods on all axes. Now i wanted to set up the software but i have some problems with the homing function in pronterface. I can move the axis one by one and everthing runs smoothly. I can also home the z-axis without problems. But when i try to home x or y the steppers start to make horrible sounds and i turn them off because i fear they might brake.
I dont really understand why I can home the z-axis just fine while the other two make this horrible sound and why they even make that sound because the run smoothly when i move them manually via pronterface. Does anybody have any suggestions? (Max feed rate is the same for all axes, v_ref on the drivers is roughly the same also)
Re: Problems with homing
October 03, 2016 10:52PM
You have a different homing speed set in the firmware.
Try to adjust it and/or vref until it sounds good.
October 04, 2016 04:38AM
The Problem was indeed in the Firmware. Thanks a lot. Still have to find good feed rates and accelarations for the x-axis which has to carry a lot of weight
October 04, 2016 10:10AM
Ok now i have another problem. After playing with the Parameters i found a setting that fits my 3d Printer well. When i homed the axes everthing went smooth and quiet.
Next i wrote a small g code to test some basic movements. The first command was G28 for homing. The z-axis didnt cause any Problems but when the y-axis started to move it went into the wrong direction at first, then it started to go back and forth. It looked like the g code was trying to move in the positive direction while pronterface wanted to move in the negative direction (My homing pos is z_max, y_min, x_max). I quickly unplugged the power supply and resarted the printer. Now the stepper for the y axis wont move at all and just makes weird sounds. I already lost a stepper in a very similar way so im scared that i broke another one.
Any ideas what has happened or how to get the stepper to work again?
October 07, 2016 04:52PM
Hi MilloMille, the problem with your y-axis homing suggests that maybe the direction pin of the motor control ic is floating*. Is the Arduino plugged into the Ramps board ok?
Dave

*floating = not driven to either 0V or 5V but wandering in between. You probably already know that.
October 13, 2016 08:14AM
Thanks gbr but i alreasy "fixed" it. After the described Problem i was scared to use the G28 function again so before every g code i homed the axis in pronterface. I changed a lot of settings in the firmware, mostly feedrates and acceleration. After a few days of testing i decided to stop Play chicken and try the G28 command again. Since then i never had trouble again.
Since i changed a lot of settings i can't say for sure what fixed the Problem but ym guess would be that the accelaration or jerk was set too high.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login