Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best support Material for ABS

Posted by KING2882000 
Best support Material for ABS
September 19, 2016 12:20PM
Hello

I want to use 3mm ABS Filament becuase you can smooth it with aceton. I googled that HIPS works with ABS but i dont know where i get D-Limonen. Asked my chemistry teacher and she told me its expensive.
On the other Hand is PVA. It would be perfect. But some people say it doesnt work with ABS. Is that true? Are there any other possibilities?

Thank you!
Re: Best support Material for ABS
September 19, 2016 12:48PM
I found that abs does not neccesarily need an own support material. With good settings you can print the support in ABS as well and it will seperate easily and doesn't leave much residue.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
September 19, 2016 01:14PM
But sometimes you want to print small complex things where you cant get of the support material. (Experience with PlA)
Anonymous User
September 20, 2016 02:22AM
how do you think PVA?
September 20, 2016 02:17PM
Dont understand what you mean
September 23, 2016 09:21AM
ABS may be too hot for PVA, it is almost literally elmers white glue. Works PERFECT for PLA though. An alternative oculd be buyng pla from certain brands which can be smoothed with acetone. (technically any pla is affected by acetone to some degree, though most are very resistant. Some brands sell pla that acts like abs when exposed to acetone)

D-Limonen is fairly expensive, and flammable, but so is Acetone. Both are easy to get off of amazon or other online stores.

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
September 26, 2016 04:30PM
[www.ebay.com]

Limonene is a relatively common solvent, and it's quite safe. It's made from citrus peels. It's not very expensive, unless you get lab-grade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login