Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speed vs Tempreture and a tale of frustration.

Posted by Mongrel_Shark 
Re: Speed vs Tempreture and a tale of frustration.
September 17, 2016 04:46PM
Thanks for the advice JamesK. Already tried going out to 3.5mm. That’s why I had to make the new barrel.
Went from only able to print fast and hot to not able to get a print started.
Not only did it get blocked worse, but the wall was so thin it broke the next time I tried to dissemble and unblock.
Had to use left hand threaded tapers to get the bits ob barrel out of hotend and heatblock.

What hotend would you recommend if not the E3D everyone else recommended so far?

I'm still looking for a way to work out if my filament is bad. Got no good filament to compare and likely wont be getting any unless I can confirm this stuff is bad How do I test it??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 04:48PM by Mongrel_Shark.

If you can't fix it with tape and tie wire. Its broken. You need a new one.

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

Moderators and RepRap Wiki editors have my full and unconditional permission to use any original photo's I upload for the wiki or any other way they may be of benefit to others.
September 17, 2016 04:55PM
MechaBits
No never done one, wasnt saying the tower was a waste of time just the temps, at a guess i'd say higher than the roll, or what is says on the tin if going slow, then maybe you can forget about it and devote more time to finding other issues.

I did the tower at at the ranges marked on the roll.
Are you even reading?

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

Moderators and RepRap Wiki editors have my full and unconditional permission to use any original photo's I upload for the wiki or any other way they may be of benefit to others.
September 17, 2016 05:12PM
RU?

I g coded it to 5c below the markings.

Actual temp for the first layer was 180ish

Then 170ish

Then 164ish

I didnt see a picture for that, assumed the picture of the tower was at temps only you know where they are.
But if the temps on the side of the tower are anything to go by I would say the roll temps are probably right.
But yet lots of arsin around, put down the billabong and sort it out sport, gud day
September 17, 2016 07:35PM
Mongrel_Shark
Thanks for the advice JamesK. Already tried going out to 3.5mm. That’s why I had to make the new barrel.
Went from only able to print fast and hot to not able to get a print started.
Not only did it get blocked worse, but the wall was so thin it broke the next time I tried to dissemble and unblock.
Had to use left hand threaded tapers to get the bits ob barrel out of hotend and heatblock.

What hotend would you recommend if not the E3D everyone else recommended so far?

I'm still looking for a way to work out if my filament is bad. Got no good filament to compare and likely wont be getting any unless I can confirm this stuff is bad How do I test it??

Ah, nightmare. I hate having to extract broken parts/screws.

I think you said you had three rolls of filament? You'd have to be very unlucky to get all three bad. ABS is in many ways quite forgiving on the extruder - as long as you aren't finding bits of foreign matter blocking the nozzle the chances are the filament is ok.

The E3D hotends are what I would recommend. I make my own, and after a fair bit of trial and (mostly) error, they ended up being basically copies of the E3D design with a different mount. There are other great hotends around that people get very reliable results with, but I haven't tried them myself (thinking of the genuine J-head and the merlin).

edit: I should also say that I found the cheap mk8 clone combined extruder & hot-end very reliable until I started doing stupid stuff like converting it to run 3mm. 1.75mm is a lot easier to push.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 07:37PM by JamesK.
September 19, 2016 02:17AM
So just to re-confirm JamesK. No Teflon/PTFE insert in your home made barrel or anywhere below the extruder/bowden line?

I think I may have solved it.

My barrel runs hotter when the filament slows down. I'm sure I have tried more air before, but maybe without the air flow guide.

I couldn't turn air up before and maintain nozzle temps past 180c.

Turning up the min fan speed has made a noticeable difference between two prints.

Will do a few more prints and see how far I can take it with the new MK2 soda can air divider/guide.

It all came about when I realised heating the nozzle with the fan off was almost guaranteed to cause a blockage.....

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 19, 2016 06:37AM
Mongrel_Shark
So just to re-confirm JamesK. No Teflon/PTFE insert in your home made barrel or anywhere below the extruder/bowden line?

I don't have PTFE on my 3mm hotends. For 1.75mm I have some with and some without.

I think I may have solved it.

My barrel runs hotter when the filament slows down. I'm sure I have tried more air before, but maybe without the air flow guide.

I couldn't turn air up before and maintain nozzle temps past 180c.

Turning up the min fan speed has made a noticeable difference between two prints.

Neat, sounds like progress! Being able to tightly control what gets hot and what gets cooled is key (ok, one of the important things where everything is important) to good prints. I like the E3D design because it brings lots of cooling to the heat break where it's needed, without spilling air on the print. Combine that with a well directed and separately controlled print cooling nozzle and you have good control over the cooling side of the equation.
September 19, 2016 06:50PM
JamesK
I like the E3D design because it brings lots of cooling to the heat break where it's needed, without spilling air on the print. Combine that with a well directed and separately controlled print cooling nozzle and you have good control over the cooling side of the equation.

Thanks for confirming about no PTFE for 3mm. I'll stop looking for expensive parts to fix my problems and go back to good old methodical testing.

Going to raid my fan box soon and try 2 fans. Its very clear thats the way it will have to go. Had 2 blockages yesterday because I turned the nozzle heat on without the fan... At least its highlighting the problem...

Yesterday got away from me but have turned the radial fan up to nearly 40% (from 15% just barely on, to 30%max) and re PID tuned. I also re aimed it. Now I have a better bigger wind deflector I can get the fan pointed lower and its better cooling the hot end of the heartbreak without blowing a gale on the print or heatblock. I couldn't get the hotend to 250 with this much flow or low aim with the last air deflector. Now its doing it easy, although not with the PID settings I had...
Tempted to turn the fan up more and PID tune again. Also thinking about making a nozzle for the fan, as it blows a lot to the sides of the heartbreak. I could CAD and print one... But that would take me a few hours by the time I measure it all carefully and print it. Or I can just wrap a bit more soda can on there and stick it with hot glue. Which will take about 2-3 min and be a lot lighter...
I think sometimes people can go a bit silly printing stuff that could be made better and faster another way lol.

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 19, 2016 08:00PM
Looks like PID is part of the problem.

If I run auto tune it gets to target temp and oscillates around target fine.

But the output suggestion is bad. It gets to 5-10c short of target and oscillates there until a printer kill happens.

So trying the [en.wikipedia.org] Ziegler Nichols method.

Got my P up to 500 and it just hits target then drops 5c suddenly and takes ages to get back to target then another sudden drop.

Even at p700 i0 d0 Its hardly overshooting then huge drops.

Suggestions would be welcome. This page has very poor explanation [reprap.org] with no mention of my problem. of barely reaching temp then big drops. I have no idea what to adjust

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 19, 2016 08:15PM
update on pid.

Running P1500 i0.5 d20 it overshoots 0.7c which is good, but still dropping way too hard. drops 5c, then turns the heater back on (why is it not PWMing???) then drops another 2-3c then goes back up in 2-3 seconds.

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 19, 2016 10:10PM
That p number was way too big. Re read a few explinations of PID.
Re ran auto tune. It got closer but still massive over reaction to over temp and lack of reaction to under temp.

Have manually tuned to P29 I6.96 D191
Its sitting within 4c, but still over reacting to over temp and under reacting to under temp.

I have noticed this since day one. Its always bugged the crap out of me. Especially combined with the woefully slow 1 read per sec. It clearly reacts to over temp after 1-2 reads but waits about 5 under temp before a reaction. WHY????? Why is it not reacting as soon as the over temp starts to drop? It shouldn't be waiting for it to go under to start heating more..... I'd rather be over than under. Under just makes weak parts with poor layer adhesion. Or strips filament or causes other problems. Poor layer adhesion is something thats been a big problem since I started dropping print temp below 260c. Now I have to vapour treat all parts multiple times to make them strong.

From my experience with soldering irons, I can confidently say the sample rate need's to be more like 1k-1m reads per sec for accurate temp tracking... 1 read per sec is never going to run well. It never has and never will.

How do I change the firmware to either have different PID for over and under, or better yet. Run custom temp control code? Right now it would be much eaiser to just write new code from scratch to replace the PID. I know what I want it to do.... I could write a 30-50 line void loop that would do a much better job, even with my very limited coding skills, but integrating it into Marlin would be a huge headache..

I'm thinking about using an Arduino Leo I have handy to completely take over temp control, as the bed heating circuit on the ramps board is an abortion too. ie its got nearly equal resistance to the bed.... Its not rocket science to work out that’s pretty bad and why my board has burnt traces and connectors all over it...

If I make a better temp controller. Is there someone than can help me integrate it into marlin, or better yet another much less bloated firmware? I also want to add rotary encoders really badly but can't find that in marlin either....

on the plus side. Its extruding without blockages now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 10:16PM by Mongrel_Shark.

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 20, 2016 06:49PM
Marlin is capable of good hotend temperature regulation with standard components, so it sounds like something is wrong to me. Things that help are:

good contact between the heater and the block. The clamp style blocks give better contact area than those that use a set screw to hold the heater against one side of a hole. Both styles can benefit from high temperature thermal paste. Make sure the crimped contacts on the heater are solid - an intermittent connection can cause endless problems.

Good contact between the thermistor and the block. High temp thermal paste is useful again, but also watch out for faulty thermistors. It's worth keeping a few spares on hand as they are delicate and easily damaged.

Insulating the hotend to reduce the amount of wasted heat, and also reduce the influence of fans.

If all the parts check out, then you might also want to consider trying different firmware. Marlin and Repetier firmware are mostly very similar, but when I swapped over I felt that the thermal control of Repetier was a little better.
September 21, 2016 01:07AM
Yep. Your on the money again James. The cooling effect of the fan is over powering the heater. It would still be nice to have other options than PID though.
A simple 3-5 choice if-then loop could be a lot more effective than PID in situations like this. Or use logic gates and have tuning pots. Even simpler and frees up firmware for other stuff... grinning smiley Choices are nice.

For now I have it working a lot better. Blockages are reduced a lot and I can do small parts that have a few patchy layers but easily repairable with ABS paste and acetone vapour. Its intermittent and I can't work out what the variable is... I can't see corresponding temp fluctuations at the nozzle. But sometimes after retracts/ layer changes etc it under extrudes a bit. Its not a problem on bigger parts, gets lost on internal perim. But its making for some holey small parts and probably still blocking if I try and do multiple small parts. Maybe I should data log barrel temp and see if that has corresponding changes?

I played around with the fan a lot, made an airflow guide out of cardboard because I was out of ally cans. Its a lot lighter and more adjustable than a printed one and only took 2 min to tape to the fan as opposed to approx 2-4 hours for my limited CADing skills and another hour or two to print.
After that I ran auto tune 3 times and it got a bit better each time. was still oscillating a lot, but more even with the over/under, Turned up i value a bit and its staying in a +/- 2c range on thermistor, which works out to about +/- 2-4c on K probe. Its about as stable as I have had it to date. May play with small changes to the values and try to improve further.

Also got the air to the nozzle fine tuned, it gets venturi effect on one side and coanda effect on the other side. So only secondary air driven by the flow from the fan. Its really light flow and warm. I can only feel it on the back of my hand if its wet, and then it still feels warm. Its also observable with smoke from an incense but not with tissue paper. Fine point/overhang curl is gone and I can now bridge 70mm+ solid but with a few dags and 40-50mm clean.

Would still love to be able to get my Maxis k-probe amp working, on i2c or otherwise, preferably otherwise. Or any K-probe, I have op-amps and know how to use them... Thinking about running the maxis right off the ATX 5v and just feeding the output to a thermistor pin. Then swap out an unused thermistor table for the K equation. Not good with code, worried I'll get stuck with syntax errors and code that won't compile like when I defined the maxis according to the instructions.... I get a headache as soon as I start looking at what needs to be changed...

I have some no-name silver bearing thermal paste and some Arctic MX4. Both are for electronics that will let out the smoke at 150c so I doubt they are rated for the temp. Thinking about making some aluminium powder and finding a good paste to mix it with. Bit stuck of a sutable paste that will maintain high viscosity at 350c (overkill for safety margin) .
Also looking at some chunks of aluminium bits I have and thinking about making a better heat block. I got nothing thick enough to do a billet style like the cheap ones and E3D etc, but I have some 3mm cast (plasma TV parts) and a box of heatsinks I could make a club sandwich arrangement from.

Also thinking about drilling out some more M6 rod and packing bits of can with nuts for spacers on there. While I'm sure most people can get the common style heatbreak working ok. I see a lot of room for improvement there...

Also looking at my thermal insulators. This one has always been on the to do.... I have a variety of fibreglass cloth from surfboard repairs. A fibreglass fire blanket. and I think somewhere some proper glass fibre insulation from a stove/oven. I put it somewhere safe so the fibres wouldn't get everywhere. Just need to remember where that is lol. Also looking at the silicon covers some heatblocks ship with as an option. I probably have RTV silicon I use for engine gaskets thats good for 360c... Decisions decisions, and a lack of 50 hour days lol. Also sort of holding off till I get around to changing to the duel drive extruder.

I am very very tempted to try another firmware, but I am printing pretty good now. Just going to make a few printer kits, spares etc and enjoy for a bit before I go down that road. Any thoughts on tea cup? Are there any other options? I'd be more keen to try something radically different than something similar. Ideally something small and simple.

Here are my latest prints. Finally found the gears that are on my extruder. Not many 13 tooth herringbones out there...

You can see the under extrusion holes I am talking about on the small bar part with 2 holes. And around the hex on the lower large gear.
Well you can sort of see. Not very clear in the resized photos. Might have to put in microscope... So yea, very minor and easily fixed with ABS juice followed by vapour.

The small gear on the right had a light vapour treatment, the other 3 gears are raw straight off the printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 02:42AM by Mongrel_Shark.

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 21, 2016 10:58PM
Update.

I have fine tuned the PID some more. Dropping the kd helped a lot. It's now within +/- 1c on thermistor. I haven’t k-probed again yet.
My latest settings are kp19 ki1.5 kd42

Added a touch of my no-name silver bearing thermal paste to the barrel thread. Not sure if it helps yet, but it ate quite a bit so should be better thermal transfer there now.

Still getting under extrusion after some retracts. Its especially noticeable on the second layer. It will under extrude for all three shells and some infil. For an object similar size to a large extruder gear. Its still intermittent after that. Some retracts start up again fine. Have fiddled with extra length a bit. 0.1 is definitely too much. It does fix the under extrusion, but in places where it won't under extrude its over extruding. 0.05 is not enough to prevent it. Going to try 0.08 next.

I have noticed one constant with the intermittent under extrusion. Its speed change. Thats why it always happens on the second layer. Then intermittently after that.
Its also very likely related to my issues printing multiple small parts and short layer times. As using Slic3r it slows print speed for short layer times.
I have no idea what to adjust to try to remedy this.

It happens for every retract that is followed by a speed change, but its a bit worse for speed increase than decrease.

I was also having blockage issues where there where lots of small perimeters and retracts, especially on short layer times (going slow). I think that was mostly the barrel running too hot, but have not done a test to confirm yet. I suspect the current issue was related too. About to load up a bed of small parts and find out....

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 21, 2016 11:57PM
Here are some pics showing the second layer problem

On this print the first layer was also a ittle patchy. I think I just didn't extrude enough before I started and there was some air in there. First layer normally goes down great so ignore that.
These steps are scaled up 150% so 7.5mm per step.

See how it took most of the second layer to start extruding at full flow? This has been happening on every second layer for a few days now.
After the second layer its all good unless there is a retract and with a speed change after retract.

This pic is 3-4 layers later. Its all going fine. Retract on every layer change. No under extrusion.

I have checked for lead screw play. Its not the problem. Still happens if I start from Z0. so always going up. At first I thought it could be because it usually goes down for the first layer then up for the second. In which case screw play would make sense. But checked it a few ways. 99% sure its not screw play. The height is right. Its not extruding at the correct flow rate... If I pause and manual extrude to get the flow back up it goes away immediately after the pause. So maybe its getting air in the nozzle???

IDK???

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 22, 2016 05:32AM
That's odd. If you make the second layer speed the same as the first layer, does the problem go away? Do you use different temperatures for the first and subsequent layers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 05:33AM by JamesK.
September 22, 2016 08:27PM
I was using a different temp for first layer, but it gets hotter after that. Now I just do the first one hot too. Was only 3c anyway...
I did think of trying first layer at 100% speed. I'll repost once I try.. I expect it will fix it though, as it happens to a lesser extent other places there is a retract and speed change. I should try turning retract off and not changing first layer speed too. That might give a clue also.

Definitely time to get some other slicing software installed....

I think a lot of the holy problem was extruder gears again. The grub screw on the small one likes to loosen itself. Will add locktight.

Also discovered the large gear if flogging out the M8 hex socket. There is quite a lot of play there. Looks like I made those spare gears in the nick of time.

Does 200-300 hours sound like a short life for that gear? Well not really lifespan. I'll ABS juice it back to good...

Looks like I have a bit to keep me busy for a few days.
I'll be back.
Mong

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

September 23, 2016 10:58AM
Good question about the lifetime of printed gears - I don't have a feel for that. I had early ones fail by breaking around the captive nut, but since I beefed them up and replaced them I haven't had any further problems. I don't see any sign of wear on the teeth, if anything they've worn off the high spots and run better now than when they were new. Unfortunately I haven't kept track of how many hours use they've seen. I'd guess it's nowhere near the 200 to 300 you mention. I have the small gears in nylon and the large ones in abs, for no particularly good reason.
September 25, 2016 11:13PM
Ok after rebuilding half the printer I have answered a lot of questions.

I re did most of the wiring looms. Fixed up the drive unit and added a quick release clamping bearing thingy.

I can also confirm that paper towel is not rated for the temp of the extruder and should not be used as a heat-block insulator.

The gear socket for the bolt head hadn’t worn. The bolt was always a bit loose. The new unused versions of the same gear had the same problem.
This led to me making a new hobbed bolt that fits better.
I did video on that because its something not many people feel confident to try and its really easy.
[www.youtube.com]

I played with various settings one at a time to see if I could fix the second layer low extrusion problem.

Printing the first layer at 100% speed took a few tries to get working. Needed a really small bed-nozzle gap. Made no difference to second layer extrusion.

Turning off retraction made no change. Extra length after retraction does improve the problem, but its a kludge because it leads to over extrusion in many places.

Higher print temp helped a lot. turned slic3r settings up from 243 to 246. This made a significant change but didn't completely fix it.

Printing fatter than nozzle width also made a huge change. Printing 0.5 wide from the 0.4 nozzle nearly completely fixed it.

Printing at 246 and 0.5 wide has fixed that.

I think I am all sorted smiling smiley Aside from some serious shrinkage issues on an overnight print its been behaving itself really well. The shrinkage was a lot to do with cheap masking tape that didn't stick to the bed, and printing at 243. Have re-printed the same parts one at a time (It was a bed full of printer parts that warped and split) at 246c, with a 5mm brim, glue stick and ABS juice instead of tape, and slightly higher speeds and its seems to be sorted. Its ABS and I curently have an enclosure made from scrap timber and old towels.

here are some new prints grinning smiley

The smaller bolt with wing nut is M8.

I'm printing another printer to play with grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

October 06, 2016 01:29PM
Well, I really think I have the explanantion to your speed / temp problems. Because it was something I had and took me a lot to really discover what was going on.
In the begining I could perfectly print with some filaments, mainly ABS. One day I tried PLA and PET. Complete failure, both of tehm in some point gave me clogs... After a lot of test and checks, I discovered that I could print PLA and PET only at high speeds. If for some reason dureing the print speed was slow down, it was almost sure to block the noozle/heatbreak. I will cut the story here, but basicalle, I had exactly the same sympthoms like you.
At some point O quit trying, even after contacting E3D support. And That pla filament and PET, I printed them at high speeds. But every weekend I still used some free time to investigate the issue till I finally got an answer: Back pressure. May be was a coincidende (actually it was not since both filaments were bough in the same store), but that particular PLA rolls (3) and PET I bought were completly full of humidity. AND PLA and PET are know to absorb moisture, a lot. I wasnt hearing the classic popcorn noise dureing print, there was some, but not constant and not always, but the absense of it is not a guanrntee that the filament is dry. When it has absorbed moisture, and you print slow, the moisture that is inside the filament has more time to evaporate and expand inside the melting chamber. When you print at 40 mm/s 3 mms of filametn can stay in the melting chamber like for 3 seconds or more, but when you print fast, that same lenght of filament will be like only 1 second or even less. So at slow speeds tehre is more time to moisture to turn into steam and that steam has more time to expand inside the chamber, creating back pressure.
Ima freak sometimes jajajaja. I continued investigating, I got to the point of getting proofs: I used lights (colored) pointing to the noozle, and I could see very clearly steam comeing out from the extruded filament while extrudeing fast, but a lot lot lot less steam comeing out when printing slow, so that steam had to go somewhere. It wasnt going anywhare actually, it was being accumulated inside the melting chamber creating pressure at the pint that the extruder motor was not able to push the filament, and finally producing filament grinding, and clogs, bcause it was pushing so hard that the soften filament in some point got stuck in the heabreak and the pressure took melted filament inside the hatbreak too (this is the reason why, if I noticed a clog and if I inmediatly pauseed the printing and retracted the filament, I could resume again.. and again and again, there was no clogs, there was pressure, relief by the filament retraction).
I have to say that where I live, we have high humidity almost all time. Rarele below 60/70%.
My final solution was drying the filament, really dry, and putting them inside a dry chamber. I even print with them inside this chamber . Since them, I can print PLA, PET what ever at fast speeds, and also as low as 1 mm/s with any problem,

Give it a try, dry your filament.
October 06, 2016 07:58PM
That is a really interesting idea Tinchus.

I have actually been wondering why I have not had moisture problems, as its a fairly humid climate here. Not as much as you, for our winter, which just ended, and its been a very dry winter but it will get very humid over the next 6 months.

I will try dying filament, I'm not expecting much change, but always good to do experiments to prove/disprove a theory.

I think you may still be onto something with the pressure though. I have recently started playing with Pressure advance settings in Slic3r in an effort to solve a bridging problem. While I still need to dial in the setting a bit, or probably more to the point, fix something mechanical that's been on my to do list for ever.

Since I tried adding some pressure advance my bridges start better, where before the origin side was not anchoring well. My second layer and other speed change under extrusion issues seem a little improved. and my overhangs are curling up less. A whole bunch of problems that where not affected by any other setting are al affected strongly by pressure advance setting.

I think I know why too. As I have a wood block between extruder and heatbreak, as heat protection for the extruder. There is a 16mm wide cavity in the bottom of the extruder where the J-head would normally mount. I have been meaning to make a wood or printed spacer to go in there for ages. When I get blocked sometimes there is a huge spaghetti jam in there... I think this cavity allows the filament to flex, like with a bowden tube. Causing some odd pressure issues. Where the drive is less direct than it could be. As well as potentially kinking the filament on the way in to the barrel.

Having experimented with cooling on the heatbreak a lot since my last post. I am very confident that was a very large part of my problem too. Since I turned the fan up and better isolated the heatblock from the cooling air, I have not really had any serious blockage issues. Unless I forget to start the fan or have it too low. I can now print much slower no problems. Although still some under extrusion issues where speed changes happen. Now I am confident its the pressure lag/advance where energy is stored in the flex of the filament.

I actually had a series of bad blockages last night testing the advance feature. Not sure it was caused by this, I think I was just overdue to clean my barrel out. Every time I drilled out the blockage and re-assembled I would extrude a few mm then it would block immediately. 7 times in a row I had to drill it out without even getting close to running some g-code with the advance setting. Lots of black stuff in there. So Its all dissembled in a jar of acetone now. I'll clean it up and re-assemble in another few hours. In the mean time I will see if I have a 16mm (or a little bigger) hole saw that can use to make a spacer to prevent the "Bowden Flex" problem. If I can't make a wood one I'll print one first print.

Then I will prepare a moisture test experiment smiling smiley

P.s. I do see smoke/vapour from my hot extrusion. Although this could be many things aside from water vapour. Could be the plastic I am printing, or more likely plasticiser additives. One thing that makes me think its additives is that it sets off my smoke alarm in the next room sometimes. That tiny bit of steam would not do this. I can boil a kettle near the printer and not set off that smoke alarm. So wile I like your coloured light vapour examination, further testing would be required to confirm what the vapour is. I have been looking into plasticisers. Glycerol is a common one, its boiling point is 290c and its melt point is 17-18c (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol). Consider water for a moment, its boiling point is 100c, yet it does evaporate much cooler at a slow rate and steams visibly from about 60-70c, so you could well be looking at glycerol vapour evaporating at print temps under 290c! What you need to do is condense some. I'd be inclined to try some cooled glass, maybe a jar with ice in it and a good sealed lid. Hold the cold jar in the vapour and try to condense some on the outside. As water will not turn to a solid on the outside of the cooled glass, but glycerol(and likely most other plasticisers) should. You should get either a wet liquid condensation which would confirm water vapour, or a gel like gooey or soapy condensation confirming plasticiser. Now that you have a sample you could get help from a chemist to further confirm what it is.
Obviously as you have a humid environment this test must be conducted in a way that prevents the environmental humidity from condensing on your jar. As your printer is enclosed this should not be too hard. Just run a control test with no plastic extruding to confirm no moisture from the air is condensing on your collection jar. Or if there is some, and you cant eliminate it completely. Weigh it to get the background interference level, and subtract that from your result.

[www.youtube.com]
[plus.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login