Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Curl B Gone

Posted by MechaBits 
Curl B Gone
September 12, 2016 12:22PM
So this is the correct use of kapton

Wide skirt plenty of tapesmiling smiley

Part came out great, though I was a little slow and the skirt could have been a little wider,
I'm tempted to get this new build surface, LokBuild
Demo looks amazing, price is low, would love to back the kickstarter but really dont want to wait till January....thats a crazy wait for a piece of plastic.
Re: Curl B Gone
September 12, 2016 02:29PM
Hey Mecha, I assume you're talking about the tape on the build plate, but... what's with the tape over the heatsink? That normally needs to be a clear path for the airflow there.
September 12, 2016 03:26PM
That is actually another small improvement...there is room for the air to escape, but its guided upwards away from print, and I made sure it was sealed near the heat brake so no air cools the heatblock.

I've printed fine without the tape before,

but this time I was only printing one part and lost half the skirt whilst priming & fine tuning z,
and I didnt want to waste a print to curl.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 11:31PM by MechaBits.
September 13, 2016 01:08AM
Are you using kapton tape on top of the brim to hold the part down? That's a pretty expensive way to keep a part stuck to the bed. ABS will stick to kapton quite well if the bed plate is hot, flat, and level. Maybe you need to tweak your settings a bit...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 13, 2016 01:14AM
Yeah I Probably could get things much better with some tweeks, but at the moment i'm on PLA with no heatbed.
The kapton was on the skirt...but it doesnt need to be kapton could be sellotape.
Kludge yes but solved the impending disaster as i lost half the skirt.
September 13, 2016 01:16AM
PLA sticks to cheap blue painter's tape at room temperature. Why bother with anything else?

September 13, 2016 01:28AM
yeah I had the choice blue or white masking tape, I couldnt be bothered ordering on line so I just got some masking tape for £1
if Blue is stickier & hairier I will get some eventually.
September 13, 2016 03:22AM
Clearly my curling is a lot worse. I think I know why and only mention this here for entertainment purposes.

I have had ABS juice stick parts to kapton so well that when it curls it pulls the tape up off the bed.

Remove the curled part and what I though was air under the tape vanishes. Not a bubble to be seen.

I think my curling pulled a vacuum eye popping smiley
September 13, 2016 03:36AM
yup same here, sometimes it lifts the tape, though kapton is stickier than masking tape, tape almost always needs resmoothing after removing part.
I dont know about you or anyone else but I think parts can even warp after leaving the bed, I think the trick is to let it cool properly
September 13, 2016 07:14AM
MechaBits
I think parts can even warp after leaving the bed, I think the trick is to let it cool properly

Yep. I've tested that a little, mostly by accident grinning smiley

If I really want the bottom to stay flat I let my ABS cool to at last 50c. Longer for big solid parts.

I have half a calibration cube somewhere that still has kapton on the bottom. The top two 3rds of the cube came off with the first tug. The other third was a bit more stubborn.... I diluted my ABS juice after that.
September 13, 2016 07:42AM
Try using thicker Kapton. I use 5 mil thick tape and it lasts for months.

I've used the 1 or 2 mil stuff that is often supplied with printers. It tears too easily.

September 18, 2016 08:35AM
im just over here, loving my print bite, not using juice or messing with tape... grinning smiley

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
September 18, 2016 10:07AM
ABS? I would need the heater wired up to use Printbite wonder if lokbuild the same?
I will have to try one day, so many things to pimp the machines out with,
as the machines multiply the temptations/options also increase

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 11:01AM by MechaBits.
September 19, 2016 01:01PM
MechaBits
so many things to pimp the machines out with,
as the machines multiply the temptations/options also increase

Truth
September 26, 2016 03:47PM
If a day goes by and i've not designed or printed something or bought some component on ebay I know i'm slacking

September 26, 2016 03:56PM
I've been slacking over the summer, but the lure of the printer is calling strongly now that the winter workshop season approaches smiling smiley
September 26, 2016 04:33PM
yes no need to go out when you can order from china...or print what you want, trouble is sometimes you dont know what u want till u need it, then wait a month to get it, i'm tempted to have a good splurge now so I have enough bits to work with.

Print failed on this, printing from PC something happened not sure what, but I like leaving the infill exposed sometimes,
slight warp on them too, but working....and how many times have you designed something...think you thought of everything...then as soon as the thing starts printing you realize there is actually another improvement you could have made.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2016 05:12PM by MechaBits.
October 07, 2016 05:21AM
Made a few tweaks to the printer and getting no curl in current print, layers are looking much better, despite a failing bearing in the X, waiting for more from china...
[io-matter.blogspot.co.uk]
Cant embed the images so click here for the gallery or above link

and another build surface, surfaces [www.3ders.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2016 05:57AM by MechaBits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login