Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors turns OFF during dual extrusion

Posted by athul 
Motors turns OFF during dual extrusion
August 23, 2016 05:02AM
Hi,

I've recently upgraded extruder in my printer to dual extruder and i'm printing my first test file now(3d model) .
FW = marlin
slcer = slic3r 1.2.9
host = Octoprint

I noticed some shifting while printing.

So I spent some time in front of the machine. I've enabled the ooze prevention in slic3r so that inactive extruder cools down to 5 degree. After each layer both extruders go outside the ooze prevention wall and wait there till it reaches the correct temperature. I took around 10 seconds for that. During this waiting period stepper motors turn off after a few seconds. and it looses the position (mainly in X, might be due to the extra weight of dual extruders) . To verify this I manually tried to turn the motors during the waiting period. They were powered up initially, but after that that they turn OFF and I can rotate them manually.

What should I do to avoid it?? Anyone have experience with dual extrusion??

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 05:03AM by athul.
Re: Motors turns OFF during dual extrusion
August 23, 2016 09:42AM
You can edit your Marlin Configuration_Adv.h file and increase your DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME to something higher, or play around with some of the other options about not disabling the XYZ motors at all when idle. I'm assuming your setup takes too long to switch temperatures and Marlin is sending your steppers to sleep because of it.
August 25, 2016 06:46AM
PDBeal
You can edit your Marlin Configuration_Adv.h file and increase your DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME to something higher, or play around with some of the other options about not disabling the XYZ motors at all when idle. I'm assuming your setup takes too long to switch temperatures and Marlin is sending your steppers to sleep because of it.

my DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME is currently 15 seconds. I'm currently printing a file. I will change it soon as a finish it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 06:47AM by athul.
August 25, 2016 10:12AM
Hmm, mine is set to 120, which I thought was the default. Maybe I changed it or they changed it in a newer version of Marlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login