Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimate Greg Wade Extruder and Marlin chewing filament

Posted by PDBeal 
Ultimate Greg Wade Extruder and Marlin chewing filament
August 19, 2016 09:21AM
So I'm working on getting my one of my machines working with Ultimate Greg Wade Geared Extruder that I remixed to work with the E3D Hobb Goblin 8mm hobbed shaft. The extruder seems to work pretty well on my machine that uses the Duet 0.8.5 board without having to change any sort of acceleration/speeds and only adjusting the Esteps.

However, on the other machine I have it installed on still uses the Ramps/Mega combination with Marlin, with the exact same speeds as the Duet 0.8.5 configuration for speed/acceleration, the extruder will just chew through the filament while printing. (I have swapped the two extruders between the Marlin and Duet machines with the same result, so it's not spring tension). The only thing that has actually gotten it working properly on the Marlin was to drop the speeds, change DEFAULT_RETRACTION_ACCELERATION to 500 down from 1000 and change my retract speed in slicer to 10mm/s from the 40mm/s I was running previously and what I still run with the Duet 0.8.5 machine.

So it has me wondering, what kind of speed settings are people using with the Geared extruders in Marlin with DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE, DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION, DEFAULT_ACCELERATION, DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION, and DEFAULT_EJERK. Anyone with a geared extruder mind sharing those configuration values and possibly your gear ratio?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 09:23AM by PDBeal.
Re: Ultimate Greg Wade Extruder and Marlin chewing filament
August 20, 2016 07:49AM
because every machine is a little different I would suggest just going through the normal calibration set up for you extruder, it is really the only way to tune a printer, otherwise you are just plying guessing games. these are my setting for the for the other items, but these are for my machine and will differ from yours.

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 25}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000}
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login