Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Look the video , is this humidity in the filament?

Posted by Tinchus 
Look the video , is this humidity in the filament?
August 08, 2016 07:24PM
Hi all! I have been haveing this problem with this particular material, it is a kind of PET. The problem is that despite it is a really good material, strong, nice, I have many noozle clogs. Kind of a ramdom issue. I though temperature was the problem. It is not. I thought noozle was clogged. I clened it, I replaced it. Not the problem. I thought I had some thermal issue in the heatbreak. That was my most believed diagnois, but now Im really not sure. Printing etmperature is 230 degress. If it is a thermal heatbreak problem, something should happend if I heat the noozle and leave the filament there for some time... I did the test: I heat the noozle to 240 degrees, I leave the filament there for 2, 5 and even 15 minutes. The noozle leaks, there but even after 15 minuts of not extrudeing, I can start extrudeing with no problems. I assume that if the heat break is causeing problems, after 15 minutes I shuld get a clog... but I dont.

So my final theory is that the problem is humidity and the back pressure caused. Look at the video, you will see some manual extrudeing just some mms, and then you will see a different things being extruded, with a popcorn noise. But look how much and the speed of the material being extruded. That is caused by humidity right?
I can extrude very slowly, fast, very fast and I dont get a clog, even after extrudeing 10/20 cms of filament. But I have random clogs while printing. Is this because of humidity causeing backpressure when the noozle is printing against the plata/layers?

I have put the filament in the oven for 1 hs, some imprevement was detected but... I need to do it for more time? How much?
These days we have been haven bad wether, with 100% humidity on the air....

Thanks for your comments and help

Video:video
Re: Look the video , is this humidity in the filament?
August 12, 2016 01:36PM
I recently was having problems with my PETG. It is a translucent blue.
Calibration prints were coming out with walls opaque pearl blue and extremely
rough to the touch. A lot of blocking in the nozzle.Watching the filament extrude,
there was none of the steam wisps you get on moist ABS/PLA.

I did a google on "how to dry pla filament" and Taulman have a post on making
a filament dryer using a 20L bucket and an incandescent bulb.

Tried the oven. Mistake. Even with a thermometer part of the spool drooped and
some of the filament is damaged.

Winter time for me so I'm getting some rather high humidity at times as well.Threw the
spools in the bucket for 12 hours and now everything is hunky dory
August 20, 2016 01:31PM
i dont know but i had heared that rise absord humidity as hell, putting the spool in a box filled with rice quickly sucks all humidity i heared, i didnt try it, but culd be a cheap and fast way if its works

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2016 01:32PM by jorgeneo560.
August 22, 2016 09:15PM
Rice and salt. Put the salt in fabrics bags
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login