Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Limonene/Terpene source for HIPS?

Posted by o_lampe 
Limonene/Terpene source for HIPS?
July 31, 2016 04:51AM
I had a hard time to find a cheap ( European ) source for the HIPS solvent called Limonene or Terpene.
Do I have to move to "orange county" to get orange peels for free? winking smiley

How long would a liter of solvent last?
Anyone found out the best HIPS/solvent ratio?
VDX
Re: Limonene/Terpene source for HIPS?
July 31, 2016 06:01PM
... should be the same as "Terpentin" - a common solvent, normally used for cleaning brushes -- easy to find in the "Baumarkt" or any other tool-store winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 02, 2016 11:26AM
I've read Terpentine is made from parts of Evergreens " Kiefern", while D-Limonene is made from orange peels.
VDX
August 02, 2016 04:38PM
... so the odor is different and you have to vent better, but should work as solvent too winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

August 05, 2016 04:37AM
Terpentine (Terpentin -Ersatz war alles was der Baumarkt hergibt ) doesn't work.
I left a few pieces of HIPS in a jar and even heated it up to 50°C for several hours, but the HIPs only changed color.

OTOH the D-Limonene does a really good job: It can glue broken parts and acts as 1st. layer adhesion agent, too. Just like ABS slurry does for ABS.
It's four times the price of Terpentine, but there seems no option.

...Did I mention it has a narcotic side effect? It is also used in aroma therapy and now I know why: Even if a long print fails after 99% you don't care smoking smiley
-Olaf
VDX
August 05, 2016 05:23PM
... yes, most aromatic solvents can be used as narcotics ... and will give a good fire-starter or explosive, if not vented properly eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login