Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament Click Prints are perfect??

Posted by deaconfrost 
Filament Click Prints are perfect??
July 26, 2016 07:39PM
I hear the click from the extruder, motor not skipping, its the filament popping on the hobbed bolt, tightening or loosing up the springs makes no changes, upping or lowering temp makes no changes, slowing down the print speed from 80mm/s by 25% while in print makes no difference either, I am using genuine e3d v6, I took it apart today, checked to see if there is any clogged, all was perfect, no clog, put it back together, nothing change, the thing is, it has been like that for months and all my prints are fine, with no problem, no missing or blobbing, but I just dont like that skipping popping sound, and there does be filament stripping very very slowly gathering up, I clean it once in a while, just to avoid fail print eventually

any idea???

this is one of my large print, all looks good

this part was printed with the fan guard logo upside down with the opening side face up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 07:43PM by deaconfrost.
Re: Filament Click Prints are perfect??
July 26, 2016 09:56PM
My stepper was clicking a few days ago and getting really hot. I insulated the top of my hot end and it went away. I am using an mk8 direct drive extruder so I am certain that Insulating won't help you, but the stepper could still be getting hot, possibly.very nice part by the way.
July 26, 2016 10:08PM
thanks lockezio

just place my hand on my steppers, they are fairly warm, but not hot, hopefully thats all it is, it has me scratching my head, it wouldn't be cause by the hotend for sure for me, as I'm running bowden, I can't imagine the steppers are skipping though, and I can see the gear running all the time while I hear the click and I can see the idler pop on the extruder, my y stepper and extruder stepper are unbranded but they are both 48mm nema 17, temp on them feel about the same, and still going strong, if I place my hand in front of the y axis, it will shift the whole printer, where as my old x axis stepper was a 32mm unbranded one, which skip very easy by placing my finger at it gently, and I replaced that with a motech 48mm and that doesn't even gets anywhere as warm as the other 2 crappy ones.

printing a z motor mount for a small version of the large printer I've designed, its been going for 3h 4mins and its been clicking 3 or 4 times on each layer, but still going great, no missing or blobbing just like that other part in the pic above, strange

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 10:11PM by deaconfrost.
July 27, 2016 12:20PM
If there is enough pressure in the nozzle I assume you can skip steps and not mess up a print. Have you checked your steps per mm?
July 27, 2016 02:44PM
yea been setup for a year and measured with a gauge, steps are perfect, I been watching the extruder for over an hour, when it clicks, there is no skip on motor or gear, its the filament skip on the hobbed bolt. after that 6 hours print last night, I opened up the idler expecting to have some stripped filament, surprisingly there were none.
July 27, 2016 08:15PM
So after watching my newest CoreXY on a large print, I've noticed the same clicking sound during the print, yet the prints look perfect. After watching it for a little bit, I've noticed mine was clicking during the infill sections and not during the perimeters. After further experimentation, I got mine to stop clicking by ever so slightly adjusting my extruder steps. On my Duet 0.8.5 I was using M92 E164:164, while it was printing and clicking, I started to lower my step count by 2, then watching it some more. I continued to do this until I found M92 E156:156 has no clicking. I know M92 E154:154 still produced a good looking part, but I'd imagine with my infill speed of 60mm/s the 164 steps was too much feed. After changing my Duet to M92 E156:156 I no longer hear it clicking and the parts still look perfect. I can't say this will solve your problem too, but this was my experience when I noticed the clicking on my newest CoreXY.
July 27, 2016 10:37PM
Have you measured your filament diameter? If it's above 1.75mm you'll be getting over-extrusion.
July 28, 2016 06:50AM
giving that a try there PDbeal, I guess if a few steps is the issue, it wouldn't be too easily spotted when calibrating extrusion
July 28, 2016 09:34AM
frankvdh
Have you measured your filament diameter? If it's above 1.75mm you'll be getting over-extrusion.

If it was the filament, I would expect it to do it more frequently and less on a regular cycle. I was able to spot mine only doing it during infill in the exact same place on the three parts I was printing at the time.
July 28, 2016 10:43AM
mine also the same, its same time same place through the layers
July 28, 2016 04:46PM
reducing steps didn't change anything other than under extrusion for me sad smiley this is driving me nuts
July 28, 2016 05:06PM
My preference is for the extruder idler to press the filament so hard against the drive gear that the stepper motor will skip before the filament slips on the drive gear. The drive gear cuts tooth marks into the filament. So I suggest you keep cranking up the pressure on that spring.

If you're getting over-extrusion (I assume that the cause of the clicking is attempted over-extrusion leading to excess back-pressure) in one part of the print, and under-extrusion in another part, I'd guess the slicer is involved. For example, Cura and slic3r both allow you to set different speeds for Infill vs Perimeters.

What slicer are you using, and how is it configured? Have you tried any other slicers?
July 28, 2016 09:47PM
problem solved, it was the extruder, the hole was a bit too wide, when added pressure on spring it bent the filament up and rolled in to the idler bearing and jammed at the extruder, replaced it with a spare which I have another 3 of them, first thing I spot was the filament feed after the hobbed bolt on all 3 spare ones I have are just enough for the 1.75mm to pass through where as the one I'm actually running is too wide for some reason, but not big enough for 3mm, strange, anyway, no more click smiling smiley

thanks for all the input and suggestions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login