Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Skipping Problem PLEASE HELP

Posted by GreatBazunka 
Extruder Skipping Problem PLEASE HELP
July 23, 2016 01:58PM
I am realativly new to the reprap scene, but i am a quick learner. I bought a Tronxy Prusa i3 kit and put it all together. It is working fine and the prints seem to adhere to the bed just fine, but the extruder motor seems to skip while it is printing. This causes the telltale gaps in the prints. I can hear it skipping every so often also. I have messed with the extruder POT on the board and the tension on the extruder itself. The strange thing is that when i head the printhead and extrude by using the printers LCD screen. there is no skipping and everything comes out fine. It is only when the printer is fully engaged in a print that the filament skips. I have also tried different filaments... Does anyone else have ideas of what i can try? I can provide any needed information also.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Extruder Skipping Problem PLEASE HELP
July 23, 2016 06:50PM
There are lots of possible reasons for extruder jams.

Does it happen on the first layer? Maybe the nozzle is too close to the bed.

Does it start happening after 20+ minutes? Maybe there's heat creeping from the hotend into the cold end... do you have a good fan?

Maybe your filament is thicker than it ought to be?
July 24, 2016 08:36PM
Is it an all metal hotend, and if so what company (or lack there of) is it from?
July 24, 2016 08:53PM
aorry for my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean? as far as i know the brand is "tronxy" the hot end screw's into the bottom of the extruder assembly where the extruder motor pushes the filament into the hot end. looks like it is all metal...
July 24, 2016 08:58PM
All metal hot ends from Chinese vendors have a reputation of being bad and failing after 1-3 meters of filament. I suspect that in a measure to cut costs while keeping the spec sheet the same tronxy used a trashy all metal hot end from china. If you have a good cold end then the motor would skip because it couldn't push the filament into the jammed hot end.
July 25, 2016 08:10PM
i dont think it is jammed. when i heat it up and manuall push some filament through it comes out just fine. when i extruder through the printer controls that is fine too. but when i try to print, the filament moves forward but the snaps back like something is in the way. like something is stopping it from coming out... any i ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login