Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best lubricant grease?

Posted by BuildAThing 
Best lubricant grease?
July 18, 2016 11:08AM
I have a Prusa i3 with smooth rods. I've used it quite a while and it's getting noisy because I think it needs either grease or oil. I live in the US, what would be the best choice for lubricating the linear bearings and the threaded rods?

Any help will be appreciated!
Re: Best lubricant grease?
July 18, 2016 11:23AM
I believe this is topic whish everyone has own opinion.

I've used gun oil to clean the rods and then lubricated the bearings with it too. Then I drive back and forth each axis and wipe the rods. After a while the rods are dry, I add sewing machine oil which is the real lubricant.
July 18, 2016 11:53AM
Make your pick:

Molybdenum Disulfide
Diluted lithium grease
3 in 1 oil
Compressor oil
Gun oil
Graphite in spray

I can keep adding to the list.
July 18, 2016 12:20PM
I've used Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil with PTFE from Amazon. It works really well on my 6mm and 8mm smooth rods. I saw someone recommend the Super Lube stuff, and it does keep the machine quiet and running smooth. I just put a small squirt inside each bearing, roll the bearing around and then put the machine back together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 12:21PM by PDBeal.
July 18, 2016 01:24PM
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I end up going with the Super Lube since I found it on Amazon for five bucks and free shipping. It looks like it's kind of in between of all the suggestions and it says its high viscosity. For my threaded rods I'm probably going to use some light in the meantime.

Thanks for all the input
July 18, 2016 01:34PM
I use spray Teflon. Spray, cycle the axis about a dozen times, then wipe the extra and its nice and smooth
July 21, 2016 01:01PM
Thanks Floyd,

I may have some access to that spray and I will try that as well.
July 24, 2016 09:35AM
I've used lithium grease, and Molybdenum disulfide with success.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login