Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First prints - weird things happening on 3D design?

Posted by tampano 
First prints - weird things happening on 3D design?
June 19, 2016 06:09PM
Hey everyone,
sorry for the very dumb question...but I think this is the place.
I just finished to build my Prusa i3 Rework and everything is going fine...so far...but...on my first attempts on printing I'm facing something that most probably comes from my inexperience on the software process.

I wanted to print a first cube and I downloaded a common one from thingiverse. My process is:
- loading STL in Slic3r, fiddling around with some settings and exporting the G-Code file.
- then I open the g-code file in Pronterface

Once in pronterface I can see just the top and the bottom face of the cube in the preview graphical window. And if I try to print it...it prints regularly the bottom face...then does some noise...then prints what it's supposed to be the top face but just on top of the bottom one.

What am I doing wrong in missing completely the 4 side faces of the cube?

I hope it makes sense
Re: First prints - weird things happening on 3D design?
June 19, 2016 07:52PM
Your wall and infill settings in the slicer are set incorrectly.
June 20, 2016 06:38AM
Thanks...now I know about "perimeters" and it's actually going better.

The process of a good understanding of calibration is still ongoing....and when I printed the next cube I faced two other issues (the first was already there actually):

1) the first layers were not extruded and instead the nozzle seemed to touch directly the blu tape surface, not extruding anything (maybe a Z homing level setup?)
2) when printing the perimeters, let's say at half height of the cube, the printer started to stop for few second at every corner, doing nothing, and the result was some melted corner for the heat. Then the printer would start again, after stopping in three or four corners

Thanks for every tip

tampano
June 20, 2016 08:33AM
For point 1, yes you need to calibrate your nozzle height, once you home the Z axis use a filler gauge or a piece of paper to adjust it. For point 2, you might be printing from the computer? If so be sure no other programs are running in background mode.
June 20, 2016 12:58PM
Thanks ggherbaz, I'll try both things. Just to be sure...for adjusting the level of Z...I need to home axis and then the only way to raise the nozzle in that case is adjusting the endstop for Z a little bit higher, right?
June 20, 2016 03:01PM
Your bed should have 4 adjusting bolts under it at each corner, move manually your bed and nozzle to each point close to the bolts and tighten or loosen the bolts accordingly, if your bed doesn't have them then yes you will have to move the endstop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login