Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

May the Foam be with you.

Posted by val c. 
Re: May the Foam be with you.
July 12, 2016 03:55PM
I just got 2 rolls of ABS by mistake, was tempted to use it, but might need a different hotend, and chopping board, though also thinking of a hedgehog mount for the foam.
August 03, 2016 05:14PM
wood lay filament from mg chemicals
simplify 3d slicer, printed from sd card
s3d fast printing settings:
205 C temp extruder
0.3 layer height
0.8 layer width
50% speed
estimated time: 22 hours
Attachments:
open | download - 20160803_121831 small.jpg (575.9 KB)
open | download - 20160803_121854 sssmall.jpg (281 KB)
open | download - 20160803_121910 small.jpg (482.9 KB)
open | download - 20160803_121924 small.jpg (528.1 KB)
open | download - 20160803_121939 small.jpg (614.1 KB)
open | download - 20160803_122003 small.jpg (563.3 KB)
open | download - 20160803_122006 small.jpg (539 KB)
August 04, 2016 01:12PM
I gotta get me some of that wood filament, it looks really useful. The print volume you have available to you is just stunning smiling smiley
November 21, 2016 11:21PM
Hi James, sorry for the late reply, it is indeed humbling to have all that space available to throw large parts at it.
Been toying with the idea to build an electric car for my son so he can drive it, but I'm aware it's gonna take a long time to print everything.
I am currently printing at 0.6mm layer height, I'm already addicted to it, so that would cut down on the printing time.
As for wood filament, you should try it, if you haven't already. Works like PLA, temperature wise.
Regarding PLA, I'm moving away from it after having tried PETG a few days back, for the first time.
Looking forward to cut me teeth into exotic filaments (conductive, etc) but they are hard to come by, unless one buys online, which I'm not sure it's very wise if you care about the quality of the filament.
Best regards.
November 22, 2016 07:15AM
There's a strange coincidence - I just got some wood filament and did my first test prints with it last night. Very pleased so far, I just used my normal pla settings and it seemed to work very well. The only thing that looks like it needs some tuning is that bridges and overhangs are rather saggy. The prints can be shaped with a file or sand-paper, and an initial test suggests it might even take a stain, although I'm not sure how good an idea that is. The stuff looks like mdf after all, and who stains mdf? smiling smiley

I just got a couple more rolls of petg too. I've only tried the natural before and found it quite finicky to print with. But it is strong so I thought I might give some opaque colours a try and see how they go. I'm thinking of using it as an alternative to nylon for structural parts. Nylon's nice but I'm always fighting the warp which is pretty aggressive, and print speeds are slow.

I'm also working on a new printer to increase my build volume - I have too many ideas that are made difficult by the current printer size. It won't be anywhere as big as yours, but will have 650mm in the X axis which should give me a lot more options to work with. I've been experimenting with some bigger nozzles in anticipation. Love the print strength, but the loss of detail is challenging. Always so many trade-offs with fdm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 07:25AM by JamesK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login