Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to determine wall thickness?

Posted by drmaestro 
How to determine wall thickness?
June 19, 2016 02:53AM
Hi,

The wall thickness of an object is important for printing quality. If it doesn't match the extrusion width or a multiple of it there could be gaps while printing. It is easy to know the wall thickness of an object if you have designed it yourself but how can you measure the wall thickness of an object you have downloaded from Internet (for example from Thingiverse)?

Thanks
VDX
Re: How to determine wall thickness?
June 19, 2016 04:21AM
... scale it to a known size (e.g. 1m or thousand 'units'), then you can 'measure' it by the program's own units ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 19, 2016 04:02PM
Unless you are working with thin wall parts it doesn't really matter, it will be your printer setup and the part function what will define the wall thickness.

On thin walls is best to use a CAD software to measure the wall and decide from there what's best. If you don't have access to a CAD software, you will have to do a trial and error with the slicer software and see which option works best. For me personally I will sacrifice some wall thickness for added infill but not less than 2 perimeters.
June 22, 2016 11:31AM
You can adjust your extrusion configuration in your slicer when some wall are problematic.

For measuring STL files, i would suggest Blender. It is fairly easy to use

DYZE DESIGN
Hotends, Extruders, Liquid Cooling and Accessories.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login