Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Prussia i3 build has incomplete menu, cannot load filament

Posted by ncarota 
New Prussia i3 build has incomplete menu, cannot load filament
June 12, 2016 12:17PM
Hi, not sure anyone can help me out with this but I thought I would try. Built this prusa I3 Kit(http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-Acylic-Upgraded-Prusa-i3-3d-Printer-DIY-kit-P802-High-Precision-Reprap-Bowden-extruder-single/32340184418.html) Everything works correctly, but the "tune" menu option is not available, so I can't load any filament? All other menu options are there, bed and extruder heat up fine, x, y, z function correctly when using auto home. Any ideas why this might be happening? It's a Marlin 1.0 based firmware.

Thanks
Re: New Prussia i3 build has incomplete menu, cannot load filament
June 12, 2016 05:17PM
Isn't tune the menu that appears during printing to allow you to adjust flow rate? I don't use a menu option to load filament, I just feed it in by hand.
June 12, 2016 05:53PM
No filament autofeed on that printer. Just stick it in.
June 12, 2016 08:33PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I have tried to feed it in manually, but no go.. Do I need to feed it in while its in the middle of a print? Is there a way to test the feed servo?

Thanks,
Nick
June 12, 2016 08:46PM
Hi Nick,

from the link you gave it looks like the printer has a mk8 style direct extruder:

You should be able to press down the black lever on the top and feed filament into the hotend. If the hotend is up to temperature you should be able to push filament out of the nozzle - getting a feel for how hard you have to push is useful, you'll be able to tell if the nozzle gets partially blocked, or the temperature is too low. You can run the extruder from the host software or the LCD menus if you want to check that the extruder can drive filament through the hotend. I haven't used Marlin for quite a while, so I don't remember the exact menu location on the LCD.
June 14, 2016 06:16PM
Thanks James,

It seems silly now but I didn't even realize that was a lever! I've got it to feed through finally, but I have my doubts if the extruder motor is working, because changing the flow rate doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm struggling to get the auto level to function properly as well, so I haven't really been able to print something yet as a test. I'll work on it tonight and see if I can make any progress. Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Nick
June 15, 2016 08:30PM
One thing learned, many more to come. Fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login