Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printer goes crazy during print.

Posted by duffle1986 
printer goes crazy during print.
May 26, 2016 04:40AM
So I am new to 3D printing. this is my first build and first print. I am trying to print a 3D test cube and it starts off working great. I have tried 2 attempts now and at the seventh layer (on both attempts) my y axis for whatever reason heads back towards the end stop and ignores it. The motor keeps going until I kill the print. I re-sliced the image on the second attempt and the same thing happened. I went through the layers to check and make sure that it didn't show the travel going off in that direction. It all seems fine. Would trying to print from an sd card solve it? Any help would be appreciated.

The software/Firmware I am using is:
Marlin v1
Reptier-Host v1.00 RC2
Slic3r V 1.2.9

Also another question that I have and hopefully an easy fix is that this cube I am trying to print measures 40mm X 40mm X 40mm and so far the base that I was able to print is 50mm X 50mm. Is that something that I would have to fix in the firmware?
Re: printer goes crazy during print.
May 26, 2016 05:25AM
What printer do you have?
May 26, 2016 05:52AM
It is a MendleMax 1.5 using a printrboard rev. D
May 26, 2016 08:35AM
Open your gcode and see the instructions your slicer set for that layer, sounds like a corrupted gcode.
May 26, 2016 08:38AM
Silcer in combination with the host software can produce some unwanted side effects every now and then.
If the above is of no help try a different version of Slic3r or just change the layer height slightly to check for changes.
For me these "hickups" usually happen when the printer is running very slow, so a slight increase in speed could be considered too.
May 26, 2016 03:38PM
I don't see anything corrupt in the gcode. To be honest I don't understand the gcode completely, but I did figure out how to navigate it for a certain layer and nothing in the y coordinates looks fishy. I will post it so you can see.
I did update Slic3r to 1.2.9 (the version in my op is wrong. It was an older version). I still have the same problem. However. This time on the 6th layer it took off like it was going to mess up, but stopped before it hit the end stop. It went back to where it was supposed to be and continued printing. Then it screwed up on the next layer and I had to reset it. I will try again at a faster speed.

I attached a copy of my gcode for the 7th layer. 7thLayergcode.txt
May 26, 2016 04:56PM
Hi,

This seems very strange. I am also new to 3D printing and can speak from little experience only.
I would suggest you try a different object to print, I have printed these up to 20mm with no real major problems (using printerbot and slic3r):

[www.thingiverse.com]

Good luck if you try it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 05:00PM by v1talogy.
May 26, 2016 05:06PM
The fact that the end-stop doesn't stop the motor isn't surprising... Marlin only uses the end-stops for homing. It ignores them during actual printing.

I skimmed through your Gcode and it looks legit... I assume that the X118.807 Y118.807 coordinates are valid for your hardware.

Are you sure that the Marlin firmware that's on the board is actually the right version for a PrintrBoard revD? I think if I was you, my next step would be to reflash the firmware. Here's a how-to from the PrintrBot Talk site Skip to the end for revD specific stuff I wrote last year.
May 26, 2016 06:19PM
If you are using an SD card, replace it might be damaged.
May 27, 2016 04:58PM
frankvdh
The fact that the end-stop doesn't stop the motor isn't surprising... Marlin only uses the end-stops for homing. It ignores them during actual printing.

I skimmed through your Gcode and it looks legit... I assume that the X118.807 Y118.807 coordinates are valid for your hardware.

Are you sure that the Marlin firmware that's on the board is actually the right version for a PrintrBoard revD? I think if I was you, my next step would be to reflash the firmware. Here's a how-to from the PrintrBot Talk site Skip to the end for revD specific stuff I wrote last year.

It turned out to be the wrong version of Marlin. It took me a while with your guide, but I was able to find the correct version of Marlin. I could not get flip to work for the life of me. So I used arduino-1.0.5-r2-at90usb1286-master to upload it and now everything seems to work. My fan or sd card reader wasn't working with the other version of Marlin so I guess that should have been a hint. haha.

Thank you all for the help.
May 27, 2016 05:00PM
v1talogy
Hi,

This seems very strange. I am also new to 3D printing and can speak from little experience only.
I would suggest you try a different object to print, I have printed these up to 20mm with no real major problems (using printerbot and slic3r):

[www.thingiverse.com]

Good luck if you try it.

Thanks for the link. I tried a smaller cube, but I still had the same issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login