Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta Printer Hot End Unpredictably Jamming into Print </3 (Cool Stepper Motors, Cool Drivers, Smooth Rails,Tight Belts)confused smiley

Posted by TheShrubPatrol 
Hey guys!
We'll start with the pictures:

I have a Kossel which has been an amazing printer for me for quite some time, but recently has begun to act like (maybe?) it is skipping steps. It started doing this a few months ago around the same time I was away from home so I stopped using it. I returned a few weeks ago and have been trying to get the thing up and running again but can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

You can see in the first picture where the hot end jammed its way into the supports (the deformation and melted plastic in the center) and moved towards the right before drizzling PLA all over the place. The printer proceeded to try print but now was off to the right, and the hot end, while moving smoothly, was not moving in plane with the print bed. I positioned the hot end in the second photo to show where it was roughly at (only closer to the print bed). This leads me to think it skipped some steps but it's really hard to tell. When this occurs, there is usually a loud unpleasant sound </3

I've checked the pots, and adjusted the stepper drivers numerous times. They don't run warm and neither do my motors. I thoroughly checked my linear rails and they are smooth. The belts are nice and tight, but not too tight. I have a fan blowing on the electronic components. The printer functions perfectly fine when I'm troubleshooting so it's difficult to find the cause, as this only seems to occur while it is printing by itself.

This occurs at a different place each print, even with the same Gcode.

I am using Repetier firmware and have attached my config to see if that will help. I also have a LCD full graphic smart controller which I use to run my prints away from my computer.

I've checked all over the place and wouldn't post unless I feel like I've exhausted all my options. Thanks for reading this guys and I hope you have ideas! <3
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (32.2 KB)
If the behaviour changed spontaneously, that means that something on the printer changed. I'd start by checking the tightness of all the screws and make sure there's no play or movement in any of the parts.

Another clue is that it doesn't happen immediately, so maybe something is heating up. Maybe you can reproduce the problem if you tell it to print, and then try debugging it *after* the fault has occurred.
If it makes a noise when it happens that suggests that one of the motors is stalling. Motors run at their specified working currents will be warm, so if yours aren't I'd guess that you are running them at well below their specified current, which might contribute to them stalling. What's the current rating on the motors, and what are you driving them at?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login