Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Head Stops Mid Print+Network Crash

Posted by drentsoft 
Head Stops Mid Print+Network Crash
May 22, 2016 06:53PM
Hi,

I have a Think3DPrint3D Kossel Mini running RepRapFirmware-dc42-1.09x. I have a few issues that I'm pretty sure are related.

Briefly
1. Print stopping mid layer then 10-15 seconds later the web interface reports an AJAX communication error and the browser disconnects.
2. Print reported as 100%, 1 layer early with filament reported unused even though the print looks as expected
3. When a print finishes and the head homes the web interface reports that the axes are unhomed.
4. If a print succeeds (or after several cancelled prints) the head will stay where it is (presumably because the printer thinks it's unhomed) but the extruder goes crazy, if I'm not quick enough it completely chews the filament.

I suspect these are most likely firmware issues but if they are I don't know if I should downgrade to the supplied 1.09k firmware (will I be able to keep my config from the current firmware) or upgrade to the latest 1.12 firmware (I don't know if this is supported on my printer).

Expanded
1. I've been experiencing issues with the print stopping mid layer. The head stops where it is and the web interface reports a lost connection about 10-15 seconds later. This doesn't happen on every print but on files where it happens it's repeatable.
I'm 90% sure this is a firmware issue as I'm pretty sure that I didn't have this issue before I upgraded from 1.09k however I had enough first-time issues with prints that I never really got far enough into most prints that I would have noticed. This tends to happen around layer 8-10 on files that have more than 10 layers. Most recently I noticed this on the stock Escher lizard supplied with the printer. I printed this twice to make sure it was repeatable. The first time it printed it reported 15 layers total and failed at layer 10. The second time it reported only 13 layers and failed on layer 8.

The first attached file shows the web interface seconds after the head stopped but before the communication error pop up appeared. The second shows the blob on the print where the head was resting when it crashed.

2. I just printed a previously successful 14 layer print which reported 100% done at the end of layer 13 with 4mm filament still left to be used even though the final layer looked perfect (attached files 3 and 4). I also printed a 24 layer file that finished at layer 23 again with 4mm filament unused.
I don't know how much of an issue this is as it seems to result in a good print, however I'm wondering if this is what's responsible for issue 4.

3. No further detail

4. No further detail

I'm printing from a microSD card rather than over USB. I recently upgraded from the stock 2GB class 2 SD card that came with the kit to a good quality class 10 and the interface seems much more responsive so I don't think it's the SD card (the crashes were happening on the old card too).

The movement motors are usually stone cold although on the last failed Escher print the X axis was a little warm to the touch, but barely above body temperature. The extruder motor was also running a little warm on longer prints until I added some heatsinks.

The only other thing I can think could be causing issue 1 is maybe it's a power supply issue? It does seem to be getting more frequent but I never seem to notice the board lights blink out or anything and given the other issues I would assume firmware is more likely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - HeadJustStopped.png (50.3 KB)
open | download - 2016-05-22-21.14.jpg (607.6 KB)
open | download - finishedEarly.PNG (93.8 KB)
open | download - 2016-05-22-22.41.21.jpg (201.8 KB)
Re: Head Stops Mid Print+Network Crash
May 24, 2016 10:12PM
I can't really help with your issues, apart from recommending that you put "DC42" in the title of this thread. This will alert the author of your firmware to this thread.

You could also try PMing DC42 to get his attention.

Good luck with your issues.
Re: Head Stops Mid Print+Network Crash - DC42
May 25, 2016 04:01AM
Thanks for the advice nebbian
May 25, 2016 04:38AM
Hi drentsoft,

Please implement the following:

1. Check that the screws on the power input terminal block are tight. If you use stranded core wire in them without the proper ferrules, they tend to work loose over the first few days or weeks of use.

2. Upgrade to firmware version 1.12a. If your PC uses Windows, you may also need to install the new device driver. You can keep your existing configuration and homing files.

3. If you have a USB cable plugged in to the printer, remove it. Ground noise through the USB cable can cause processor resets.

4. If the problem continues, then after the printer has stopped and the web interface disconnected, reconnect either the web interface or USB without resetting the printer, and run M122. Report this problem and the M122 results (in particular the last reset reason and the software reset code) in a new topic in the Duet section forum at [forums.reprap.org]. I don't monitor this section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 04:39AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 25, 2016 07:53AM
Thanks DC42,

I checked the power input terminal, all seems good so I've gone ahead and done the firmware upgrade to 1.12a and I'm doing a test print with a known failed file as I write this and I'll see how it gets on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login