Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed not levelled after Auto Level

Posted by RVE 
RVE
Bed not levelled after Auto Level
May 18, 2016 08:30PM
Hello,

I would like some advice on a recurring issue I am facing with my Prusa i3 (with inductive sensor and auto bed-levelling).

So, my issue is that when I start a print with autolevel, autolevel mesure is performed without issue, but when printing, the level is not perfectly corrected by the autolevel function :
I can see some correction being performed (both Z axis lead-screws are slightly moving when printing the extruder moves on the X or Y axis).
As a result, the first layer height for the center of my printing area is good, but it is getting smaller as the extruder move to the right part of the bed, and higher as it moves to the left part of the bed.

This leads to issues with my first layer adhesion for big prints, and on prints longer than one hour, it leads to a lot of wrapping on the left side of the bed (always the left side).

Obviously, I don't really want to print without the auto-level, trying to set the right side of the bed higher won't fix that (auto-level detect the new position of the bed, and correct it with the same error once again).

I also tried to change the firmware on my printer, without any result (current firmware is Marlin 1.1.0-RC6).

Behaviour is the same with both the "3-point" autolevel and the "grid" autolevel (3 points grid hence 9 measurements) functions.

Did any of you faced the same issue, or at least do you have any idea where this kind of issue can come from ?

Thank you in advance for your help smiling smiley

Romain
Re: Bed not levelled after Auto Level
May 18, 2016 09:53PM
Is it possible that your metal surface is not uniform? I use metal backed tape and sometimes the surface could be compromised. Is the probe shifting somehow? Are you sensing two differnt surfaces perhaps? What is your offset for teh probe relative to the sensor?
RVE
May 19, 2016 10:47AM
The aluminium bed is brand new, so I think that it is OK, plus the issue was already present with my previous bed, so I guess it doesn't come from there.

The probe doesn't shift, and I am sensing the same surface during all the auto level process (the aluminium bed).

The offset I had to set in my firmware was -0.65mm.

I just thought about one thing though, the metal structure supporting the aluminum bed is bigger on the left side than on the right side. Would it be possible that the inductive sensor would somehow detect the metal structure through the aluminium bed, and as a result detect the bed from a little further distance (we're talking about tenth of millimeter here) than on the right side (I don't know precisely how inductive sensor works, so I guess maybe more metal will mean earlier detection) ?

I also have a capacitive sensor. I think I will try to install it on my printer and see if the results are any better smiling smiley
June 07, 2016 07:19AM
Hello,

I'm experiencing probably the very same problem with my Sintron Kossel Mini (delta printer). Initially my z-Probe assembly was very wonky and the spring that pushes the probe against the bed was way too strong, possibly twisting the whole hotend a bit during the individual probing movement. Recently I redesigned it and also made it simpler thus more precise. I'm positive that now it's much more precise, but the result ist the same: after the auto bed level procedure the bed seems to be still more than 0,5 mm higher on one side than on the other (it doesn't look like a delta typical bowl deviation). For big prints the head scratches the bed with no filament flowing on the one side an on the other it doesn't adhere due to the big gap. In the middle however there is an area where it works fine.
I'm wondering if the recorded bed z information actually gets written or retrieved from the eprom. I can't see if there is any corretion happening at all or not (because auf the delta design).
Shouldn't the bed at x=0, y=0 read z = 0 after the level procedure ? I'm asking because I still have to set a z height correction in slic3r. Might that be a hint that the bed leveling doesn't get stored? Does it get stored on all boards anyway or am I supposed to not turn off the printer after the procedure?? That thought ocurred to me just recently, I'll test that later today. I think I never testet that (again) because I once got dangerous movements and head crashes after the auto level procedure and not resetting the board afterwards. Maybe that was just coincidence? I could build a 3 point adjustmend for the bed, but that would make the auto bed levelling pretty obsolete, wouldn't it (except the bed is no perfect plane) .

My questions in short:
Does the usual Arduino Mega 2560/ADK with Ramps 1.4 retain auto level information after a reset/power off?
If so, why does it still look like no correction is done?
Should the z value (retrieved by the m114 command) after level procedure defiantely read 0 at the bed center? (or does it still read the "uncorrected" value and the correction is done without showing?)

Regards smiling smiley

Edit: I tried bed levelling today without turning the board off afterwards - same result. Now that I think of it I already mechanically levelled the bed twice in the past. It should be 1 mm higher on the side that was too low. But it isn't. It's the same like alsways since I got the printer. That must mean that the error is introduced by be electronic auto bed level. My only idea here so far: could the delta rods have different lengths? (although I measured them an screw them to equal length - I'll re-measure them today)

Regards smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 02:54AM by TheYear2525.
June 08, 2016 04:54AM
TheYear2525
Hello,

I'm experiencing probably the very same problem with my Sintron Kossel Mini (delta printer). Initially my z-Probe assembly was very wonky and the spring that pushes the probe against the bed was way too strong, possibly twisting the whole hotend a bit during the individual probing movement. Recently I redesigned it and also made it simpler thus more precise. I'm positive that now it's much more precise, but the result ist the same: after the auto bed level procedure the bed seems to be still more than 0,5 mm higher on one side than on the other (it doesn't look like a delta typical bowl deviation). For big prints the head scratches the bed with no filament flowing on the one side an on the other it doesn't adhere due to the big gap. In the middle however there is an area where it works fine.
I'm wondering if the recorded bed z information actually gets written or retrieved from the eprom. I can't see if there is any corretion happening at all or not (because auf the delta design).
Shouldn't the bed at x=0, y=0 read z = 0 after the level procedure ? I'm asking because I still have to set a z height correction in slic3r. Might that be a hint that the bed leveling doesn't get stored? Does it get stored on all boards anyway or am I supposed to not turn off the printer after the procedure?? That thought ocurred to me just recently, I'll test that later today. I think I never testet that (again) because I once got dangerous movements and head crashes after the auto level procedure and not resetting the board afterwards. Maybe that was just coincidence? I could build a 3 point adjustmend for the bed, but that would make the auto bed levelling pretty obsolete, wouldn't it (except the bed is no perfect plane) .

My questions in short:
Does the usual Arduino Mega 2560/ADK with Ramps 1.4 retain auto level information after a reset/power off?
If so, why does it still look like no correction is done?
Should the z value (retrieved by the m114 command) after level procedure defiantely read 0 at the bed center? (or does it still read the "uncorrected" value and the correction is done without showing?)

Regards smiling smiley

Edit: I tried bed levelling today without turning the board off afterwards - same result. Now that I think of it I already mechanically levelled the bed twice in the past. It should be 1 mm higher on the side that was too low. But it isn't. It's the same like alsways since I got the printer. That must mean that the error is introduced by be electronic auto bed level. My only idea here so far: could the delta rods have different lengths? (although I measured them an screw them to equal length - I'll re-measure them today)

Regards smiling smiley

Are you using Marlin? Are you homing after doing a bed level? If so then there's your problem.

Scroll down to "Firmware setup" on this page:
[www.thingiverse.com]

for more information on how to set up a working autolevel.
June 08, 2016 05:56AM
I'm using Marlin and I'm homing before and after levelling. I have no servos, so at least part of the linked firmware setup isn't for me. It doesn't seem to be a problem of software endstops either, because I hear the switch clicking every time it probes. Software endstops are set about 0.5 mm below the actual bed, in addition to that the probe protrudes 2 mm below the extruder. I set all probe offset values according to my actual probe setup already.

I'm currently not at home but will check some things from that firmware setup later. Currently I'm not sure if these lines are true in my firmware

#define min_software_endstops false
#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
// #define Z_PROBE_ALLEN_KEY

What does the latter one even do?? (or rather: what would it do, if it was un-commented?)

nebbian
Are you using Marlin? Are you homing after doing a bed level? If so then there's your problem.

Are you implying that homing annihilates bed level data, or am I supposed to home? (I never tried without homing!)
The m500 command to write the data into the eprom is totally new to me eye popping smiley never saw it mentioned in the manual or elsewere. I'll definately try that!

Thanks so far smiling smiley .

p.s.: Maybe I should mention that in the "manual" I received with the printer, a bed level routine is listed. Like "execute g29 [...]". In my Marlin firmware there is already a 37 point routine predefined and in use. It includes deploying the allen key probe by touching the belt and retracting it by pushing it against a screw head.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 06:22AM by TheYear2525.
June 08, 2016 10:18AM
If you home the Z axis after the leveling runs then yes it overwrites the data.
Most people home X and Y then do the auto level to setup Z

G28 X Y
G29

Or you can just run
G28
G29
That would home all axis then run the leveling.

Running G28 AFTER G29 wipes the auto level data!
June 09, 2016 07:43AM
Hi
I just bought a Kossel Mini as my first 3d printer and i have no idea how to configure its auto leveling feature, which is a limit switch connected to the hotend.
Every time i enter the auto leveling command (G29) the hotend moves in the air for a bit , not probing the surface and goes back without calibrating.
Is it a configuration problem?
Also, could you send the appropriate slic3r settings for the kossel mini with repetier host? I am using 1.75 mm ABS plastic with a heated bed and nozzle diameter 0.4 mm, and would like to print at a layer height of 0.1 mm and speed 60-80 mm/s
I have attached my current Marlin configuration settings.
Please get back to me as soon as possible.
Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (28 KB)
open | download - Settings.txt (57.3 KB)
June 10, 2016 06:56AM
Meh, it doesn't seem to work either. I did the following:

g28
g29
g1 x0 y0

After that I retracted the z probe and verified the distance between bed and nozzle. The readings are +0,2 mm on one end of the x-axis and -0,2 mm on the other end :-/ . I tried the m500 command like:

g28
g29
m500

Not sure if that is the right way to use it. There was no response in Pronterface other than "sending m500". Maybe the eprom really is disabled in my Marlin?

@Pratyush: Did you home the axes (g28) before sending g29? The printer needs to know where it is at. Sorry I don't recognise your configuration.h enough to help you there, mine looks a bit different.
RVE
June 12, 2016 11:17AM
Hello every-one,

Just to keep you informed, I replaced the inductive sensor with a conductive sensor, and I am now using a glass sheet over my aluminium bed (to ensure the bed is perfectly flat), and sadly, it didn't resolve the issue.

The "shift" is still the same, so I guess the issue comes from either my installation, or from the firmware.

As the firmware is based on a Marlin 1.1.0 RC6, so I don't think it comes from there, leaving, in my opinion, only my installation, but I hav no idea where it could come from...

Thus, I am considering modifying the Firmware to slightly take into account this small "rotation offset", like it's done with the linear offset for the first layer.

I will keep on posting on that matter, as it seems like I am not the only one impacted by this issue.
June 14, 2016 04:40AM
I suffer from a similar issue but I have a cartesian machine. The funny thing is, I have another identical machine that runs the same hardware/firmware and it prints perfectly flat edge to edge. One my other machine it creates a huge gap at one end and a nozzle blocker on the other end. Same inductance probe, same everything (Except z offset of course, different for obvious reasons). Not sure why this is happening...
July 23, 2016 01:37PM
I ditched that whole autolevel stuff and levelled the platform physically. After that I noticed it to be bent pretty much in one direction - like 0.5+ mm or so eye popping smiley . I used an angle grinder to flatten it and checked with a metal bar whether there is a gap when it lies on the bed. I didn't completely remove the gap because I have the tendency to make things worse when I try too hard xD . So my circular bed ended up like that at 8 cm print radius:

[mm]

.......-0.1

I think that is close enough when using a layer height of 0.3 mm for the first layer.

I still don't understand why someone writes a 39 point autolevel routine when it doesn't correct for a bent surface confused smiley .

I actually got the same idea, putting a glass plate on top. But naah, not yet ^^ .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 01:41PM by TheYear2525.
November 14, 2016 08:21AM
Hello,

I have same problem with 18mm inductive sensor on a borosilicate glass bed with some copper tape on top under the 3 probe point. Marlin 1.1.0 RC7. 0.5mm error on the last point (back left). Under the glass a Mk2a heated bed.

thanks.
November 18, 2016 02:35AM
Did this issue get solved RVE? I'm having exactly the same problem but with a physical trigger switch acting as the probe.
December 10, 2016 09:53PM
I think this auto level thing is a bit of baloney, all my printers have auto leveling and I don't see any benefit, for me auto-leveling should be able to print in a uneven surface and doesn't, maybe we are doing something wrong but ...
April 10, 2017 02:53AM
Hello all,

I, too. am experiencing the same problem. Never had this problem before, but I moved the printer and since then everything is messed up...

It may be a physical frame problem, I'm thinking perhaps it may be the z axis that's not straight. But that is also another part of the problem: the leveler shows it as leveled but when I measure the distance with caliper, it is off by 1 mm or so.

Has anyone found the solution to this problem?

Thanks!
April 10, 2017 04:08AM
Is your bed surface 'flat'. 3 point and grid levvelling needs a flat surface.
If it is concave or convex (dome shaped) then you need to use bi-liniar or mesh levelling.
April 10, 2017 11:07AM
Hi Obewan!

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is flat. It is an MK2B bed with a glass sheet on top that is held down with 4 clips.
May 03, 2017 10:38PM
Hi Guys,

Did anyone get a fix for this yet or come across one ? I have the exact same problem on one of my mini kossels,

Manually calibrated all towers and points (total 7 points, X,Y,Z, XY, XZ, YZ & Center) in between towers are exactly 0.1 mm from bed before G29, After G29 (using switch activated probe) the readings are off by 0.1 to 0.3 mm in various positions. Even after I power off the machine and turn it back on the error persist.

It only gets back to original after I do a restore failsafe.

I had replaced steppers, mega ramps, arduino mega, stepper drivers, rods, effector so far however, error still exist in the same place. So my conclusion is the autobed level does not totally work on this machine, but the strange thing the same firmware on another 3 machines works fine.

So what gives ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login