Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extrusion issues on first layer

Posted by noodle4000 
Extrusion issues on first layer
April 29, 2016 10:48AM
Hi All, This is my first time posting so let me know if this has already been solved

I am having trouble with the early layers of my prints on my Prusa i3. When I begin printing the initial layer is extremely thin as the nozzle is pressed up against the bed, this prevents the plastic from flowing and backs up my extruder to point where the gear just grinds away at the filament. I have tried to stop this by levelling the bed again, and changing the end stop of the Z axis so the nozzle is higher from the bed. This fixes the problems with the extruder but then my prints won't stick to the bed. I am using ABS on a heated bed as well as a ABS / Acetone slurry on the glass of the bed to improve the adhesion. How can I reliable find a balance between to close and to far from the bed?

Thanks for your help
Re: Extrusion issues on first layer
April 29, 2016 11:06AM
I usually calibrate the nozzle distance to 1/10mm and leave it there.
To get better adhesion with ABS you could use a PEI plate or 3Dlac.
In general glas is not the best surface to print ABS on, for me the PEI plate works best, closely followed by a simple aluminum plate with 3Dlac.
Also make sure the temperature of the heated bed is sufficient, i use 110°C for ABS.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login