Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What do you think is causing this?

Posted by MightyMouth 
What do you think is causing this?
April 26, 2016 07:15PM
First layer problem printing ABS

Bottom

I tried various temperatures between 230c and 260c but the prints show the same problem. My bed is set to 120c but is actually around 100c. I tried increasing the extrusion to between 102% and 105‰. My printer is in a heated enclosure @ 28c.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 03:25AM by MightyMouth.
Re: What do you think is causing this?
April 26, 2016 08:13PM
It is not the temperature, is the adhesion to the bed what is causing the problem. What material are you using as bed and are you applying any adhesive to it like purple stick, hair spray or disolved ABS?
April 27, 2016 02:43PM
MightyMouth
First layer problem printing ABS
I tried various temperatures between 230c and 260c but the prints show the same problem. My bed is set to 120c but is actually around 100c. I tried increasing the extrusion to between 102% and 105‰. My printer is in a heated enclosure @ 28c.

There are many ways to achieve good first layer adhesion - and many many threads that have talked about it here.

The first thing you need to do is use an actual MM value for the first layer width, not a %.

BTW, I recommend never using % for width in Slicer anywhere - it uses that percentage of the layer height - so you can get an impossibly small extrusion width without realizing it. I don't use auto speeds or % for speeds either - then I know it is printing exactly as I ask it to - easier for me to know why it is printing as it is. Every printer prints differently so auto-anything will only work well by pure chance, and introduces errors.

I recommend a first layer width at least 15% wider than nozzle width. So for instance - if you have a .4mm nozzle width: use at least .46 mm for the first layer width. This will ensure it smooshes onto the bed a bit. Set other nozzle widths to a value that is between 105% and 170% of nozzle width (beware the high end).

Note that first layer height calibration, extruder calibration, and the infill overlap % will also affect the first layer greatly, in that order. A bed probe is critical for good consistency.

2nd - bed prep. You could prepare it with some Auanet super extra hold hairspray (provided you can remove the slab it from the machine to do so) - it works well for me - a very light layer applied to a very clean surface (clean with Windex, acetone) every 10 prints or so, or use thick kapton tape, or another stick on bed surface material, or glue stick. You could place a layer of cardboard over the bed while it's heating to get a slightly higher temp, and insulate under. I use 106 degrees for the bed for ABS.

3rd - the first layer speed. You should do various tests - print just the first layer - to see how slow you actually need to get good adhesion. It should be quite difficult to remove the first layer when the bed is hot. Some use a very slow speed (10mm/sec). I find through testing that I can use 46mm/sec for first layer with a freshly prepared bed. If I haven't printed in a while and I have a big job I will spend the 5 minutes to clean and re-spray the mirror I use - while the bed is heating.

4th - first layer extrusion temp - as long as your hot end can handle it you could use a temp near the high end - 260 for instance. It will allow better bonding for the first layer at a higher speed.

Here are some Slic3r tutorials and videos you may find helpful.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
April 28, 2016 01:59AM
Based on the pictures I'd personally say the nozzle to bed height is too large for the first layer. It could be the bed is also not level as one corner appears to have adhered.

I print exclusively ABS on Kapton tape and find that the first layer needs to have some definite "squish" to ensure adhesion.
Bed at 110c for 2 layers then dropped to 100c for rest of print works for me.

My nozzle to bed distance on the FF Creator Pro is aggressively small at 0.09mm set with feeler gauges but it does give me consistent first layer unless the Kapton tape gets contaminated.

Step 1: level the bed
Step 2:check and set nozzle to bed gap

I personally use S3D and set the first layer height to be 125% and speed around 40-50mm/s depending on the size of the object
April 28, 2016 03:04AM
Mutley3d suggested this was over extrusion which, in fact, it did turn out to be.

I reduce the esteps by 10% from 648 to 584 at his suggestion and reduced the first layer height from .4 to .3 which in general produced a very nice print which surprised me as my extrusion was spot on as far as mm in/mm out.

I still have some adhesion issues which may or may not be due to problems with the Auto Calibration or more specifically I think my Traxxas rod ends are bumping into either the Carriages or the Effector or both while travelling between the axes at the outer edge of the base during calibration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 03:16AM by MightyMouth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login