Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot connect using ubuntu to makibox driver board 5d

Posted by bubbamicrobe1 
Cannot connect using ubuntu to makibox driver board 5d
April 22, 2016 05:04PM
I was stupid enough to buy a Makibox printer from the clearance site without really reading into how much of a scam it was. Everything seems to fit partwise, but I can't get repetire host to connect to my board.
Re: Cannot connect using ubuntu to makibox driver board 5d
April 22, 2016 06:56PM
I don't know the Makibox printer. What hardware & firmware does it have? How does it connect to the computer?

On Ubuntu (or any other Linux), you can use the lsusb command to find out what's connected to the computer via USB. First step (assuming you printer does connect via UScool smiley would be to run lsusb with the printer not connected, then run it again with it connected, and look for a difference -- if there's no difference then you're not getting an electrical connection.

FWIW, I found I couldn't use 250000bps (or auto) to connect to my printer from Linux... I had to use 115200bps.
April 22, 2016 07:27PM
Noted. It runs on a flimsy micro-usb cable so it might just be the connection. If that's not the problem Makibox's firmware/software is kind of depreciated. I'll go ahead and test this.
April 22, 2016 07:33PM
Bus 001 Device 016: ID 1d50:604c OpenMoko, Inc. Connection is fine, when I'm connecting via Repetire Host I'm using these instructions [makiwiki.com]
April 22, 2016 09:57PM
I couldn't resist having a look at the website. They claim that the printer "is based on the open standard RepRap design" (I think that qualifies for a eye rolling smiley ) but it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before. Anyone recognize the design?
April 22, 2016 10:41PM
The device is there, so you know that the cable is good. I guess you also know that the power supply to the board is good.

What serial port are you trying to connect Repetier Host to?

I double-checked mine: here's a screenshot of Config/Printer Settings/Configuration.

I suggest that you also check that you have the setiings right on the other tabs.
April 23, 2016 01:29AM
I tried usbmodem001 and auto. Trying settings.
April 23, 2016 01:34AM
No port available for autoselect.
April 23, 2016 02:59AM
I tried going to the website on the board. [www.5dprint.com] seems to not exist anymore. Doing a little research on the company doesn't give me favorable results, the company started from crowdfunding and went bankrupt when it couldn't deliver assembled printers within a year to its customers. As in people were waiting for a year to actually have their printers delivered. The clearance site is a last effort to pay off their debt.
April 23, 2016 03:04AM
[www.linkedin.com] The founder also decided to try the same mistake twice.
April 23, 2016 03:14AM
April 23, 2016 04:20AM
Have you included yourself in the Linux 'dialout' group as per [makibox.altervista.org] ? By default, you won't be a member.
April 23, 2016 05:01AM
guess@node1:~$ sudo adduser guess dialout
The user `guess' is already a member of `dialout'.
April 24, 2016 02:20AM
April 24, 2016 02:52AM
Still cannot connect with COM3. May be a problem with Linux Repetire Host. This is what Repetire Host looks like to me.
April 24, 2016 03:06AM
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot from 2016-04-24 07:48:31.png (35.5 KB)
April 25, 2016 05:34AM
Linux doesn't have a "COM3"... that's very much a Windows (well actually MSDOS) thing. Linux serial ports are typically named "/dev/ttySx", where x is a digit, or maybe "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyACM0".

Did you install a Linux version of Repetier Host, or a Windows version which you're trying to run through Wine? I have v1.0.6 installed.
April 26, 2016 07:13AM
There is a user group at:- [plus.google.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login