Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone have experience with the E3D Lite 6 extruder?

Anyone have experience with the E3D Lite 6 extruder?
April 16, 2016 10:59AM
I'm considering upgrading a couple printers at the makerspace and looking for a hot-end for printing PLA and ABS (and anything else that works in that temperature range, such as TPU). I am most concerned about printing PLA- does the heatsink/fan combo keep the filament flowing or does the thing jam?

Thanks!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Anyone have experience with the E3D Lite 6 extruder?
April 16, 2016 11:07AM
I can only speak for the E3Dv6 extruder - non-lite - which doesn't jam as long as you keep the heatsink fan on permanently while the nozzle is hot (including cooling down time at the end of printing), and also as long as the retraction isn't excessive. There's plenty of guidance on the E3D web pages.

I don't expect the lite to behave any differently, but I'm sure that users with more experience of that beastie will soon give their opinions!
April 16, 2016 12:28PM
I have the E3D v6 on my printer so I am familiar with its performance. My main concern is whether the SS heatsink on the lite version works well enough to prevent PLA jamming.

April 16, 2016 01:29PM
Ahh - apologies! smiling smiley
April 16, 2016 05:04PM
I have had no issues with my lite 6 jamming on pla. I had a jam one time but it was on petg. With that jam I found the liner was very hard so I replaced it with a new piece. I think that ptfe material just wears out or it could be because I am pushing it running at 245 with the petg.

The heatsink / cool block stays very cool. I am using a 40mm fan instead of the included 30mm due to how loud the stock fan was. I only used it with the 30mm fan long enough to print the fan shroud for the 40mm but I doubt there would be any issue with the stock fan.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
April 16, 2016 05:20PM
Great! Thanks! I place an order...

April 21, 2016 03:08AM
Ive got one, and although it says max speed of 50mm/s, mine seems happy to print up to 100mm/s without any noticeable loss in quality other than speed related. Very happy.
April 21, 2016 07:28AM
I just realized that I called it an extruder, not a hot-end, in the title of the original post. Doh! Too late to edit...

I have ordered the hot-end along with a Titan extruder kit to replace the extruder and hot-end on a Solidoodle at the Milwaukee Makerspace, and if the combo works well, eventually also replacing the extruder and hot-end on a Taz (many members have some investment in 3mm filament, so I need to give them time to use it up before switching to 1.75 mm).

Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 07:32AM by the_digital_dentist.

April 21, 2016 08:03AM
i recently ordered the Prusa i3 Upgrade Kit that comes with the titan and the v6, i hope it works like a charm smiling smiley
April 23, 2016 04:02AM
A bit late now that you have placed an order but I have a Diamond hot end which uses 3 off E3D Lite heat sinks. The makers of the Diamond stress that it is very important that the Bowden tube is cut square and goes right to the very end of the heat sink. Just leaving a small gap of 1mm can cause a cold spot and consequent jamming. Some users have reported filament leaking around the heat sink threads. I fitted mine with a couple of turns of PTFE tape around the threads and have had no problems (no jamming or clogging either). I don't know if any of this is relevant to the full E3D lite hot end but it might be...........
April 23, 2016 06:21AM
The bowden in the full E3Dv6 terminates on the cold side of the heat-break, so this problem is unlikely to occur.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login