Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Retraction? Esteps? Temperature? Speed? Nothing seems to work (Prusa Steel/Simplify3D)

Posted by tomwleech 
I feel like I've tried everything I can short of throwing the printer out and I simply don't seem to be able to get my Prusa Steel printing to an acceptable level.

It's from Orballo Printing and I'm using Simplify3D and running the gcode off an SD card. Here are some pictures of my latest failure, featuring large blobs, overall roughness and some lovely spiderweb stringing. It actually consists of several processes, the base is printed faster (3000 mm/min) and at an 0.2mm layer height:

Here are my Simplify3d settings for the detail section:

and here is my configuration.h:

*** EDIT *** - please append such big files!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 04:46PM by VDX.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (19.9 KB)
Did you print this tiny thing as a single part?
If so then please repeat the print but print 3 copies at the same time.
I suspect your problem is due to no time for the part to settle and cool down between layers.
I tried that, it didn't make any discernible difference sad smiley
Are those tiny things on the surface details or support material for holes?
Did you actuall check if you can fit 4 perimeters within the top walls and structures?
The part looks far too thin for 4 perimeters, or is that setting just for the base part?
Try the top at quite a low speed with only 2 perimeters but 100% infill for every layer.
Looks like the issue was that Orballo Printing included a cheap knock off e3d hotend that was extruding inconsistently... I bought a proper e3d v6 hotend and although I haven't tried printing this piece again today my calibration pieces are looking worlds better. I'll be attempting to print this piece tonight and I'll update with the results tomorrow smiling smiley
tomwleech,

your problem is quite simple: too hot too fast.

Small parts needs to be printed slowly and at lower temperatures. 205 for PLA is hot, 195 is best, also the speed you are using is way to fast for small detailed parts.
some of the features you are setting in Simplify3d are not needed for quality print (Coast at end,Wipe Nozzle and Vertical lift) may causing you more problems than improving printing quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login