Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Extrusion widths

Posted by oppositeofacharge 
Weird Extrusion widths
February 09, 2016 05:59AM
I have a Prusa i3 with a genuine e3d-v6 and I'm getting the result on my prints. It seems to be very consistent on the 20mm cube. Any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - cube.jpg (241.7 KB)
open | download - both.jpg (501.5 KB)
Re: Weird Extrusion widths
February 11, 2016 06:20PM
It could be because the bed is un-levelled, or a Z axis wobble. If the bed is un-levelled try loosening or tightening some of the screws until it is levelled. The Z axis wobble could be because of the threaded rod, the one that comes with the Prusa i3 is not the best and may need to be changed to a better one.
February 11, 2016 06:59PM
im fairly new to 3d printing but I have some ideas. I wonder if filament is building up and then squirting out or something causing irregular extrusion. Did you just switch to your e3d v6? If so which mount did you build to support it? Does it have herringbone/fishbone gears? If so did you change the esteps/mm in the eeprom to accommodate for the change in gear ratio? Lots of questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 07:00PM by davidbananas999.
February 11, 2016 07:37PM
Sorry for not giving out more details than I really should... So I have calibrated my E-Steps multiple times, used different filament types, calibrated PID temperature and replaced the Z axis coupler. I had successful results printing from a J-Head with very minor defects, and this problem came to light after switching to my E3D-V6. Oddly enough, when I switched back to the J-Head the problem was still there.....
February 11, 2016 09:33PM
Are you using a heated bed, and if so are you using pid with it? If the heater is dropping your 12v line it may be enough to reduce the extrusion, so if those narrow areas match up with times that the bed is on it would be a clue.
February 11, 2016 09:34PM
try slicing and printing that cube with all the default settings, i know it will be crappy but just see if the irregular walls go away at least. That would narrow your problem down to a settings issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login