Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Print ??

Posted by psneddon 
Weird Print ??
February 05, 2016 07:07PM
I'm having some issues with my printer lately. I have attached a few pictures to try and show the problem. I have two hollow conic sections that I printed at the same time about 2 inches apart to allow cooling between layers.

The first picture is of the original stl file I had created in 123D Design, shown here:

The height wasn't right so I increased the height in the Z direction using the Scale feature in Cura. Again, I printed then about two inches or so apart and ended up with a weird result. There is some Z-axis banding but worst of all was the weird effect on the second one as you can see here:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 07:20PM by psneddon.
Re: Weird Print ??
February 05, 2016 08:41PM
How many walls do you have on that part? I get the same thing when im underextruding a tad only using two walls.
February 07, 2016 08:47AM
Floyd
How many walls do you have on that part? I get the same thing when im underextruding a tad only using two walls.

Prusa I3 Rework, Ramps 1.4, 1.75 mm PLA, 0.4mm nozzle

I'm using Cura 15.02, so I'm assuming the number of walls is the same as the shell thickness (?), which is set to .6mm. I am using a .4mm nozzle, so this would be the equivalent of 1.5 walls then ??

I calibrated the extrusion amount. If it was under-extrusion, wouldn't that show up everywhere on both pieces once the under-extrusion starts to occur? Both were printed at the same time.

The last picture shows banding on both, but the one with the noticeable zig-zag effect shows no banding or issues on the back half of the part??

I am trying to print this object so it has a little flexibility.
February 09, 2016 06:56AM
Yes this is something that is common when you use only 1 wall (or in your case 1.5 walls)

I would try setting your shell thickness to 0.8mm and then print it again and see what happens.

Also you are printing both parts at the same time? try printing only one part at a time because the nozzle moving between prints can cause this too.

Hope this helps,
www.3dexfilament.co.uk
February 09, 2016 09:30AM
3Dex Ltd
Yes this is something that is common when you use only 1 wall (or in your case 1.5 walls)

I would try setting your shell thickness to 0.8mm and then print it again and see what happens.

Also you are printing both parts at the same time? try printing only one part at a time because the nozzle moving between prints can cause this too.

Hope this helps,
www.3dexfilament.co.uk

Thanks for the info. I'll see what happens after setting the shell thickness to 0.8mm and printing one at a time. I printed both at the same time to let the layers cool down a bit from one to the other - like printing a sacrificial tower.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login