Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I need strong parts!

Posted by Axeman5470 
I need strong parts!
February 04, 2016 03:29PM
I was wondering how many walls for a strong part that will endure some weight. I need it to carry a lot of weight, like up to 100 pounds. Is it possible?
Re: I need strong parts!
February 04, 2016 03:53PM
Depends on the size, dimensions and shape and of course type of plastic you use.
But in general I found less is usually stronger if designed the right way.
February 04, 2016 11:02PM
Its PLA and I don't wanna say what I'm building, till it's done. Um ran into a snag anyhow, got half way through a print and it started to gum up and made the extruder skip and jump off course, luckily it didn't print over it. I may still be able to use it.....Maybe.....lol.....Also, I am printing it all with 4 walls and faces, with hexagonal infill.
Attachments:
open | download - 20160204_224746-1-1-1[1].jpg (581.5 KB)
February 05, 2016 05:28AM
Well, without knowing how the part looks and where the mechanical stresses are it is impossible to give advise here.
Upload your part(s) to Sketchfab and PM me the link, you can disable the download option, so only viewing is possible.
Include some info in the PM from where the stresses are applied and might be able to tell you if the part needs improvement and where.
Otherwise just follow the standard procedures as used in structural metal fabrication winking smiley
February 05, 2016 07:20AM
It's just not only the walls. Infill % and type affects more. Or are doing a hollow piece? PLA can melt or soften in sunlight. A 15cm x 5cm x 5cm ABS plastic bar with enough infill perhaps can bear 100lbs.. on not... Some info about plastics: [eu.makerbot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 07:21AM by Plasteroid.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
February 07, 2016 02:43AM
pla and strong part is a not for me. here in greece where the temps are usually <18c and at the around 27c at 8motnhs of a year the scale that the pla will deform is too big. if you raise the temp or pressure then you have ur shape lost .

try and look hybrids filament and particularly carbon if you want power to be applied at ur part.
February 07, 2016 07:27AM
I just tried standing on a (failed) pla part. Four line perimeters and honeycomb infill. I'm 230 pounds, and the part is fine. But it definitely could not take a hundred pounds of twisting force. Pulling... Maybe?

So the answer is it depends.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login