Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with wall thickness and circle perimeters

Posted by reflexsa 
Problems with wall thickness and circle perimeters
February 02, 2016 06:15AM
Hey all,

I've been printing parts for a few months now and I've been moving on to more precise objects.
Initially I was having the problem that my wall thickness was way to much. This made the walls thicker as well as the parts larger.
On the attached image that wall is 1.5mm and it was originally printing at around 2mm. (0.5mm nozzle)
I since tweaked the extrusion multiplier (in Slic3r) and this resolved the wall thickness problem.
However now it seems I am under-extruding on the closing layers.
This issue with this is that if I push up the extruder steps then it counteracts the extrusion multiplier and my walls become to thick again...
Also what is strange is that it seems to be extruding less or moving further away from the part at the one corner.
I don't think it is possible that it is moving further away (bed leveling) as this should be compensated after a few layers.

Thanks for any help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 06:16AM by reflexsa.
Attachments:
open | download - 20160202_102007.jpg (582.2 KB)
Re: Problems with wall thickness and circle perimeters
February 02, 2016 06:43AM
You should first calibrate your extruder, then calibrate the multiplier to the filament in use.
Everything else only let's you run around in a circle.
February 02, 2016 07:10AM
Hi,

I have calibrated the extruder by marking around 100mm of material in 10mm increments and extruding it.
I only started fiddling with the extruder steps after changing the multiplier to get the wall thickness right.
February 03, 2016 06:29AM
What extrusion width are you using ? its in the top of youre Gcode file.
you could try to set it manually to 0.5mm.
February 03, 2016 08:35AM
Thanks for the replies.
I have had some success with the following:
Layer height 0.2mm
Extrusion multiplier 0.87
Perimeters 0.5mm
Top solid infill 0.3mm (even though I have a 0.5mm nozzle)

This print came out well for a single wall however not well on the 1.5mm wall. I'm starting to think if I made the wall 10mm then it would come out fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login