Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issues with Meshmixed Files (+Green highlights in Repetier)

Posted by Lazerlord 
Issues with Meshmixed Files (+Green highlights in Repetier)
February 01, 2016 06:39PM
(Just a quickie as I haven't found much information pertaining to this).

So I wanted to print some cartridge sleeves for my Sega Genesis cartridges, but the one on thingiverse had too many logos on it for my taste. So I sent it through meshmixer and did a planar cut to remove the logos, and then I added another Sega logo from thingiverse and joined the two meshes.

When I look at the exported STL in meshmixer, it looks fine, but in Repetier host, there is a bunch of green stuff everywhere. I don't think this green is matching up with the faces, and the green looks pretty random to me. Whenever I export the Gcode with slic3r, most of it comes out right, but there are a few details missing in the logo.

If anyone knows what the issue could be, or what the green portions of the model mean in Repetier host, please let me know.

Here are the results (hopefully you can see them), although sometimes more of the letters are missing. Again, this seems very random:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 06:41PM by Lazerlord.
Re: Issues with Meshmixed Files (+Green highlights in Repetier)
February 02, 2016 12:16AM
Your approach is flawed for 3D printing.
For a 3D model is used ina game or similar it is no issue at all.
The cleanup is best done in a graphics program like Sketup directly.
Select the lines with the logo, delete, ad a few more to close the surface again, run solid inspector or similar to check if you missed an error.
Select the top outlines of the new logo, copy and paste into the case file, you might have to do smoe scaling to make it fit.
When size is right, copy and paste in place into the existing and cleaned image, so you only add the lines onto the surface.
Extrude to the heigth you need and save as a new file.
The resulting file will be clean, small and working.

Of course if the sega logo is the rigth size and clean you can simply place it on top of the cleaned model and combine the two into a new one.
Takes about 10 minutes if you are slow and you end up with something like this:

Cartridge Sega Logo Combined
by Downunder35m
on Sketchfab

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 01:19AM by Downunder35m.
February 02, 2016 09:30PM
The thing is, that's pretty much what I did. Really, the only difference I had was that I sliced off the original logos that were on the case. I rant eh 'fill holes' command in meshmixer, and when it was imported into repetier, no errors were shown that indicated that the object wasn't a manifold.

I'll definitely take your advice, and I'll probably use that model you made, but I'm still wondering what the green highlights mean within the repetier software. I've seen them before, but not in a random pattern, but more like this:

This was a gameboy cartridge holder, which came out fine.
February 02, 2016 11:09PM
Meshmixer is not keeping the file as it is, if you change something the entire grid of the wireframe can change.
You can often see the difference in the filesize too.
Green or red means that the model has problems, e.g. inverted faces, holes and so on - again pretty much normal when using Meshmixer that way.
February 03, 2016 12:51PM
Ah, okay. Thanks for the useful information!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login