Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

top surface looking like spaghetti

Posted by friarfish 
top surface looking like spaghetti
January 21, 2016 05:03AM
Okay,
I know this has just been dealt with in a fashion recently but I can not find the post.
On a recent print of small items, perimeters were fine but the top was like a mess of
spaghetti.
I know it is related to either over extrusion or over heating, but don't really know how
to fix it. I don't even know how over extrusion can occur, unless the wrong E value
was set in the firmware.

Can't provide a photo as I've sanded the prints and can't print a new one as I think
I just cooked the controller.

Sigh, learning curves suck.

Many thanks,
Andrew
Re: top surface looking like spaghetti
January 21, 2016 04:08PM
Andrew
perimeters were fine but the top was like a mess of spaghetti.

I understand your frustration. This might help for the next time this happens: info we need to diagnose your printing problem

We're working on the Wiki Troubleshooting page. There's some good info there.

Hope that helps, & hope your controller is OK...

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
January 23, 2016 05:59AM
Somehow the PID settings for my Hotend were utterly out of whack.
I have no idea how I was able to print calibration cubes of acceptable quality
when P and I were out by a factor of 6x and D 3x.

Worrying about the top surface on small prints being all twisted up when the PID
is completely out of balance is a bit redundant.

Thanks folks,
Andrew
January 23, 2016 07:36AM
Pip tuning does not do much more then to make sure the temp does not fluctuate too much.
It won't help for getting a hotend much hotter and the only thing it is really good for is to prevent the temp from overshooting during a print.
I see little to no chance to damage a controller by using wrong pip settings.
For me it is much more likely that your hotend simply sucks due to bad tolerances and that the pip tuning was just the tipping point for ruined prints.
As said above we need much more details to be able to make a good judgment on causes and possible solutions.
January 24, 2016 12:59AM
I imagine having a hotend swing +-5° as i am printing would explain some misbehaviour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login