Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Won't start after heating.

Posted by hernyv92 
Won't start after heating.
November 24, 2015 02:43PM
Hi guys, so I bought a prusa i3 printer from ebay. Everything seems to work (all axis moving properly and heat bed and extruder also heat) but when I choose the file for printing it just heats to the wanted temperature (bed & extruder) and then it just doesn't start printing (doesn't move). Already tried with different files. Appreciate any tips or help!
Re: Won't start after heating.
November 24, 2015 05:18PM
I just got my printer together after a year and am getting the same problem.
So any help will fix two problems and be greatly appreciated.
November 24, 2015 06:10PM
First you want to determine if this is a firmware, slicer or hardware problem. Please use the attach function to add the configuration.h and gcode.

Do the axes still move as expected after you've homed all axes?

Are the temperatures exactly at or above set temperatures? If it's below the temperature, even a tenth of a degree the print will not start.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 25, 2015 03:47AM
After running some test, I noticed that the extruder motor does not move (the motor works when connecting to X or Y axis) but when connected to extruder it does not. All axes move after homing. I don't know if this is the reason why it doesn't move or another problem really. Should it move independently to the extruder connection working? Should I check the board config? (I'm not very savvy in that department). Anyways thank your for your reply.
November 25, 2015 08:43AM
Are the stepper drivers integrated or are they separate? If the latter you can swap them around with others on the board and make sure it's the step stick that's faulty.

The extruder working or not shouldn't make any difference starting a print though. Yes, you're bound to have to delve into the firmware at some point. I've put up a simple tutorial in my blog, see the link in my signature.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 25, 2015 04:27PM
I got looking in the config.h file and noticed this line]]

// 33 = RAMPS 1.3 / 1.4 (Power outputs: Extruder, Fan, Bed)

Then I remembered I connected the fan to the ramps bd along with the extruder. Though I was being slick.

Anyways reconnected the fan to D9 on the ramps and this problem solved.

Now I get to unjam the extruder from when it just set there cooking the pla.

I bought a power adapter to power the arduino bd bit it does not. It will only work when I use the usb cable.

Any thoughts.

Thanks so much for you help
November 25, 2015 06:45PM
Try to leave the hot end at high temperatures without extruding as short a time as possible. At some point the softeners evaporate and the nozzle jams.

You don't need to power the arduino, the arduino gets its power from the ramps 12V 5A connector. This is routed to the arduinos 5V regulator. This regulator can fail though, so make sure it's still working with the ramps board. if not you can replace the 5v regulator if you have some soldering skills, or replace the arduino.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 26, 2015 03:00PM
Thank you immqqmi for your help, I have read your blog, I still need a driver (haven't found one yet) to access the files on the board, in the product specifications it says the firmware is Repetier-Host . The motors work in separate connections, I did test the motor switching it to an axis and it does work.
November 26, 2015 04:43PM
@Herny: let me know if you need any more help.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login