Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange liquid from extruder

Posted by Lazerlord 
Strange liquid from extruder
November 20, 2015 08:05PM
Just a quickie:

I finally got all the bugs worked out of my Folger tech Prusa i3, so I was finalizing the bed level by printing a square that filled the build plate, and adjusted the corner screws until all the individual bands looked good. (the paper method wasn't working for me) Once I got that done, I figured I'd ramp up the speed until it started skipping steps, just for fun. I got it up to 375% of 60mm/sec before the x axis skipped a few, but then this liquid happened. Some of it dropped into the build, and it seemed to harden like the plastic I was printing. But it comes out of the top as well.

Because of the speed, I got the temps up to about 220-ish
I was using M3D 3D ink black color-change pla (my friend didn't want it, good for tests)
The extruder/hotend is (i think) a Mk7 extruder.

Is this liquid from the plastic I was printing, or was it from some of the plastic that makes up the actual extruder?

Basically, should I be concerned about this?
Attachments:
open | download - tmp_4797-1120151949a-1280x720673514910.jpg (186 KB)
open | download - tmp_4797-1120151949-1280x7201341260243.jpg (176.6 KB)
Re: Strange liquid from extruder
November 20, 2015 10:07PM
Your hotend is leaking...
Once up to full heat tighten the screw connections really good.
If still leaking take apart, clean all out (PLA clean nice when heated as it flow out, just don't overheat) and remove all the run out plastic.
When you put it back together make sure to insert the heat break far enough so the actual nozzle won't sit flush on the heater block.
Once all is tightened up the nozzle and heat break will pressure seal against each other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login