Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder not feeding confused smiley

Posted by ame 
ame
Extruder not feeding confused smiley
November 20, 2015 07:34AM
Hi all,
I built a purse i3 and everything works fine: heat bed heating up, hotend heating, x,y,z axis. The only problem is the feeding of the ABS:

If I remove the hotend feeding works fine. As soon as the hotend is attached to the extruder, the feeding of the ABS seems to be missing force. When I try and start to print a test cube, the ABS melts and extrudes something like 1cm of curly ABS and then stops.

I already unmounted, cleaned, mounted the extruder and hotend several times and each time I have the same problem.

Is there anything I am missing? Any tips you could be giving me?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Andreas
Re: Extruder not feeding confused smiley
November 20, 2015 08:06AM
Try turning up the temperature...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 20, 2015 02:25PM
Welcome to the world of clogs and jams.

There are a dozen things that interact to cause a clog or jam, including temperature, temperature PID calibration, cooling fans, back pressure (height above bed or previous layer), filament thickness, extruder calibration, play in the mechanism, type of hotend, nozzle size, alignment of hotend and extrude and filament, retraction distance, ....

Most (all?) of these can be corrected by putting in the right settings to your slicer and printer. However, because the same symptoms may be caused by multiple problems, it can be very hard to correct.

To get useful help, you will need to give a whole lot more information.
November 20, 2015 02:42PM
What software are you running? I experienced an issue similar the other night when I tried to use Slic3r. It would extrude and then just stop and eventually I would have several layers missing. Swapped back to Cura and printed just fine. Couldn't find any issues with my settings, but haven't gone back to investigate. Maybe you're running into the same issue I had.
November 20, 2015 03:37PM
Im with DD. What temp are you extruding at? I have my ABS at 240c
ame
November 20, 2015 05:08PM
Thank you for you replies!

DD and Floyd
the first layer is extruding with 235c and others with 230

frankvdh
I will try to respond to the points you mentioned as good as I know. Please let me know if I and in which form I could get the best the information to you.
  • temperature PID calibration: could you send me a good resource for the calibration
  • cooling fans: just have 1 fan, which never turned on
  • back pressure: don't really understand what this means. I calibrated the Z-axis to have space for a paper in between the mirror and the hotend
  • filament thickness: 1,75mm
  • extruder calibration: could you please send me a good calibration source?
  • type of hotend: please find images attached
  • nozzle size: 0,3mm
  • alignment of hotend and extrude and filament: what would I need to pay attention to?
  • retraction distance: same here, don't really now hot to measure this or how to configure

TyCobb
I am running Repetier-Host Mac 0,56 with slic3r. I did not try Cura yet, will give it a spin.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0149.JPG (160.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login