Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer issues Z axis.

Posted by Quesabyte 
Layer issues Z axis.
November 15, 2015 11:46PM
Ok here goes. I've been tinkering with my printer for the last few months. Managing to print some usable prints, just not the great quality.

Everything is correct, 20x20x20 cube is fine, but the layers are notifiable and are not really close together.

So, I decided to change the steps, lowering the Z axis by 1000. The layers are perfect prints come out looking great.

BUT.. now the prints are too short... piece I printed is supposed to be 10mm high, its 6.

any ideas....?
Re: Layer issues Z axis.
November 16, 2015 12:18AM
If you reduce the steps/mm you will get thinner layers and your parts will print too short, as you have discovered. That isn't a number that you play with- it is a number you calibrate then leave alone. If you're having problems with layers not sticking to each other, there is some other problem.

Are you printing ABS? Is your printer enclosed? Are you running a print cooling fan?

Ancient Chinese proverb say: "one picture is worth 1000 words"

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 16, 2015 05:26AM
Before you mess with any steps you should make sure they are correct.
Changing the values from your guts to "cure" a printing problem is the wrong way.
Do the entire calibration so all steps are correct.
Than setup the slicer correctly and do another test print, from there we can proceed if still necessary.
November 16, 2015 12:53PM
I'll print of another part without changing the steps so you can see the difference.
November 16, 2015 04:20PM
Before I say I may have figure out what was wrong with the prints, remember that I've self taught!tongue sticking out smiley

I had the later height set to 0.5, I figured because it was a 0.5 nozzle... That was the right height. Seeing how this next print comes out.
November 16, 2015 04:56PM
Hmmm, that could be the obvious fault LOL
try with a layer height of 0.4mm max and it should work winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login