Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HALP!!!! Burning smell

Posted by teddy_bear_joseph 
HALP!!!! Burning smell
November 09, 2015 11:55AM
Hi ive got an issue of a smoking heating cartridge!!!!!!!!! so i im using the ramps 1.4 with one extruder and no heated bed... and i finally set it all up it responds to manual controls in the repetier host manual controls... so i go to heat the extruder... and at i would wait hours and no heat whatsoever and my thermistor would read 20 degrees.... so my thermistor was accurate,.. the thing was cold to the touch... so i shut off the heating tried switching the D10 black and red wires to the heating cartridge... nothing.... it just stayed at 20 degrees... and would say heating extruder in repetier host....... so i switched my ramps board to option 33 in marlin which indicated a heated bed and dual extruders etc.. and i jsut left the ports empty... my next try IT WORKED... this is because for the 35 one extruder motherboard option in marlin... you must hook your one extruder to the D8 slots rather than the D10 slots... but for the 33 option the first extruder is d8... and basically... the thing immediately worked heating up 1 degree per second... but i smelled a burning smell.......... after a few rounds of heating and smelling my ramps board it turns out the smell was comming from the extruder... i thought it could have been the rubber insulation on the hexagon or something.. nope the actual heating cartridge is smoking!!!!! a small barely visible line of smoke just spews out of the extruder... ironic as it looks like just a cylinder of metal... nope apparently theres stuff on the inside wires insulation etc that can burn....

my bang bang settings are set to 255.. is that a bit much...

could it also be that marlin thinks that the D10 where the extruder is is actually a fan or heated bed and is sending an innapropriate amount of electrical signal through it... liek for #define motherboard 33, 34, and 35 (and 36?) where is the first extruder supposed to go (D8, D9, D10 respectively)

ALSO IF I SWITCH BACK TO 35 WHICH INDICATES ONE EXTRUDER AND TWO FANS.... THE FIRST EXTRUDER MUST BE IN D8... DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO HOOK UP ANOTHER 11 A CURCUIT FROM THE POWER SUPPLY!?!? BECAUSE THATS FRIGGIN LAME!!!!!
Re: HALP!!!! Burning smell
November 09, 2015 12:14PM
Follow the traces on the RAMPS board, see which pins they connect to, use that number in the config.
Re: HALP!!!! Burning smell
November 09, 2015 01:00PM
it is in the D10 port on the blue row of ports with positive in the positive jack negative in the negative...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login