Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual Extrusion Setup

Posted by Qdeathstar 
Dual Extrusion Setup
November 05, 2015 07:06PM
I feel like i have gotten both extruders to work well, one at a time, so the next logical step is to get them working together for one print. It aint that easy.

I am having an issue setting the offsets. No matter what i put into slicer, repetier, or even using the G10 command, the print comes out the in the same exact position... Kinda printing as if both extruders were in the same spot. Any ideas?

EDIT: For Marlin

I solved the issue using commands, but it turns out G10 is not for offset for Marli.

The correct code is M218 P0 X0 Y0 Z0

Where the number after P is the extruder, Number after x is the X offset, ect.

Still cant figure out why it didnt change using repetier or slicer....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 07:41AM by Qdeathstar.
Re: Dual Extrusion Setup
November 06, 2015 02:02AM
You haven't said which firmware you are using. G10 is correct for setting the nozzle offsets in RepRepRapFirmware.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 06, 2015 07:40AM
I am using marlin. I didn't know there was such a wide difference and that different firmwares use the same "instructions" for very different things...
November 06, 2015 12:56PM
What worked for me:
- In slicer, define 2 extruders. On the second extruder set the offset positively, assuming the second hot end is on the right. In my case the second extruder is 24mm from the first one, so I fill in 24 in the x field.
- In repetier, menu/config/printer settings, define two extruders. The second one, use also a positive number for the offset, in my case it's 24.

When importing the 2 stl files, make sure they belong in the same group in repetier and set the correct extruder for each stl file. Slicer plater is rather unstable, so I prefer to do the joining in repetier. You can set a differernt color for each extruder, which is reflected in the visualization. If it lines up properly and the stl models have the correct color, the part will print correctly.
Apparently slicer has some troubles with printing using a single extruder while two are defined. It will printed with the second extruder first and switched half way, but didn't compensate for the offset so it printed a mess. I keep two slicer profiles for single and dual extruder prints.Repetier remembers the second extruder settings even if you set the number of extruders to 1 and back to 2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login