Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

single wall extrusion test fail

Posted by Qdeathstar 
single wall extrusion test fail
November 03, 2015 12:21AM
after reading how you are supposed to print a single walled cube to calibrate the extrusion multiplier, I decided to give it a go...

I made a quick cube that was 20mm square and .4mm thick, the same size as my nozzle.

then I printed using .1mm level height... the result I got was a lot of gaps which looked like a clogged nozzle/under extrusion... but when I print a normal cube or anything else the prints look good, if anything maybe a little over extruded.... so, what's going on?
Re: single wall extrusion test fail
November 03, 2015 03:37AM
Qdeathstar
after reading how you are supposed to print a single walled cube to calibrate the extrusion multiplier, I decided to give it a go...

I made a quick cube that was 20mm square and .4mm thick, the same size as my nozzle.

then I printed using .1mm level height... the result I got was a lot of gaps which looked like a clogged nozzle/under extrusion... but when I print a normal cube or anything else the prints look good, if anything maybe a little over extruded.... so, what's going on?

Your walls should not be below 1.2 times your nozzle size and your layers should not exceed 80% of your nozzle size.
November 03, 2015 07:47AM
yeah, I know that. however, for the thin wall test my understanding was that the wall thickness should match your nozzle width..

eg here:
[www.thingiverse.com]

.5mm wall for a .5mm nozzle,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 07:47AM by Qdeathstar.
November 03, 2015 08:55AM
Do you use retraction?
Do you "coast at end" ?
If so adjust them accordingly winking smiley
November 03, 2015 09:04AM
Qdeathstar
yeah, I know that. however, for the thin wall test my understanding was that the wall thickness should match your nozzle width..

eg here:
[www.thingiverse.com]

.5mm wall for a .5mm nozzle,

Ok, I get that point but 1mm layer height with 0.4 nozzle, how did you figure that?
I mean you're trying to extrude an oval out of a circular hole, on top of that you expect the oval to be 2.5 times the size of the circular hole in one direction...........
November 03, 2015 09:46AM
Oh, forgot the decimal .1mm

Heh.

Edit: Hey, I didn't forget the decimal

About retraction, I am using it, but how do I calibrate it with regards to the test cube?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 09:55AM by Qdeathstar.
November 03, 2015 09:57AM
Qdeathstar

Heh.

About retraction, I am using it, but how do I calibrate it with regards to the test cube?

I see, that makes quite a difference. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 03, 2015 02:01PM
I have just made the same single wall calibration test and failed too.
See my post at
[forums.reprap.org]

Matten

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 02:02PM by MattenMax.
November 03, 2015 03:32PM
I have measured my filament at 1.73mm so I'm not sure your topic helps
November 03, 2015 04:01PM
Qdeathstar

Heh.

No you didn't.

It was my bad, misread your post, sorry.

Have you tried reprinting the cube with another extrusion setting?

That your "normal" prints seems to be ok/over extruded may be explained by that the latest version of slic3r seems to have problems with over extrusion.
November 03, 2015 04:19PM
I'm going to try to mess with the retraction settings.. I have it set to 4cm on a Boden drive, which I read somewhere else a while ago is way to high... Will report back
November 03, 2015 05:22PM
Qdeathstar
I'm going to try to mess with the retraction settings.. I have it set to 4cm on a Boden drive, which I read somewhere else a while ago is way to high... Will report back

Yeah, 4cm is way to much, 2-6mm is more likely where you want to be at depending on the length of the bowden tube.
November 05, 2015 12:11AM
It turns out that i had my parameters set to 90% and that led to under extrusion during the single wall test.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login