Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(partial) solution to crap filament...

Posted by Rich K. 
(partial) solution to crap filament...
October 09, 2015 10:20PM
Earlier this year I bought three spools of black ABS filament from a seller on EBay, who stated the reason he was selling it was he was switching to 1.75mm filament (I am set up for 3mm filament in my Mendel90). It was Makerfarm brand filament, and I got it for $8.00 per spool. I THOUGHT it was a great deal. Unfortunately, the stuff started clogging and jamming the .4mm nozzle on my E3D-V6 hotend, no matter what speed or temperature or feed settings I used - I'm pretty sure the stuff has contamination of some sort in it, as I would burn the plastic out with a torch, and it would work for an unpredictable amount of time, then jam again. This was a problem - the seller had stated "no returns", and I was stuck with 3 spools of filament I couldn't use very well.

I fought with it for a long time. Then I saw the nozzle "fun pack" on the Filastruder website (official US dealer for E3D). The "fun pack" comes with all 6 available diameters for the V6 from .25mm to .8mm. Since I eventually want to try Laywood and similar filaments at some point anyway, I bought the "fun pack", which just arrived today, and installed the .6mm nozzle. Using Cura, I am printing the "20-sided Die of Holding" from Thingiverse (a dice box that looks like a giant D20 with Roman numerals). It is printing faster than the same project did with the 3.5mm nozzle - I am using a .45mm layer height, and a feed rate of 80 (I used to have it set at 60). So far it is printing exceptionally well, though you can tell the detail is a bit more coarse than with the .4mm nozzle. But at least now I can use up that cheap filament and then go back to the Filamex brand I had been using previously and always had decent luck with. In fact, now that I have SMALLER nozzles, I might try some more detailed work!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login