Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Perimeter width

Posted by davidf01 
Perimeter width
October 04, 2015 08:02PM
I have a quick question. Using Slic3r I'm trying to print a .5mm thin wall calibration object. But the walls keep coming out .42mm.
I have a .4mm nozzle and layer height of .2. My first layer height is .25 with a 200% first layer width setting and the default extrusion width of
.4. Should the calibration objects walls be .5mm or is the default width over riding the 5mm wall object?
Re: Perimeter width
October 05, 2015 03:23AM
How does a 0.4mm nozzle print 0.5mm walls? Impossible, I´d say.

You can try to increase flow by 25% and hope the nozzle squeezes the track to become wider, but that also leads to occasional blobs.
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2015 03:28AM by o_lampe.
October 07, 2015 02:03AM
0.5 walls with a 0.4 is normal, maybe you're confusing layer height of 0.5? That would be difficult to do.
October 07, 2015 02:06PM
imqqmi
0.5 walls with a 0.4 is normal, maybe you're confusing layer height of 0.5? That would be difficult to do.

What I'm trying to ask is if I print a .5mm wall calibration object I should get a .5mm wall correct? I keep getting .42 walls.
October 07, 2015 05:16PM
My comment was directed at o_lampe smiling smiley

It depends on the nozzle size. Filament can't get thinner than what comes out of the nozzle (with a bit of trickery you can maybe go 10% below but the print quality will suffer). With a 0.4 nozzle you can print 0.5mm walls. With a 0.5mm nozzle 0.6 would probably work best.

There's a relation between height and width, what you want to aim for is an oval shape laying flat on the print bed, so width is greater than height, there should be enough pressure in the nozzle to squash filament on the print bed. The maximum layer height should be about 75% from the extrusion width.

If you get 0.42 while it should be 0.5, what I usually do is take the average of the old extrusion multiplier in slicer and the new multiplier. Say you have a multiplier of 0.9:
New multiplier = (old multiplier + old multiplier x (intended width / measured width) ) / 2
New multiplier = ( 0.9 + 0.9 x (0.5 / 0.42) ) / 2 = 0.986.

I do this as to not overshoot the width, one would usually end up with a wall of say 0.55mm. With a number of iterations you'll get closer to the intended width. You can put it in an excel sheet and calculate the next multiplier automatically.
October 24, 2015 06:20AM
Gentlemen...please..
It is time to read the manuals..ABOUT EXTRUSION WIDTH

grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login