Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why does Slic3r print the brims first? (multiple parts)

Posted by CKYong 
Why does Slic3r print the brims first? (multiple parts)
September 30, 2015 06:23PM
Hello all,

I'm starting a multiple part print, printing every part individually, to reduce the losses in case a print pops off the heat bed in the middle of the print.
Just tried a layer by layer print until one of the parts popped off and I could throw away the whole batch.

Anyways, why does Slic3r print the brims on ALL parts, instead of printing a brim before starting each part? Is there a way to turn this off?
I'd like it not to print all the brims at first, to minimize my loss of filament in case my print goes wrong.

Regards,

CKYong
Re: Why does Slic3r print the brims first? (multiple parts)
October 01, 2015 05:52PM
Yes, absolutely you can turn off brim (I hardly ever use it) under Print Settings / Skirt and Brim, there is a value for the brim, just set it to zero and it won't print a brim.
October 02, 2015 02:04PM
I think the brim is used to "prime the pump" of the hotend. So it is based on the entire build plate and prints first rather than right before each object.

Likely just how the developers decided to implement it as their is not much need for a brim after successfully printing object x of y, and basing the brim on each object would likely use up more space on the plate.

You might try a raft if you want each object to be primed before printing, though as tmorris9 mentioned, it might just be best to turn it off completely.
October 02, 2015 06:07PM
Kurza the skirt is what they use to prime the nozzle, it is normally just a single loop around the entire area where all objects will be but a few mm away from the printed objects. The brim is used to keep parts from lifting and try to stop warping on ABS, it's mostly used on items with a small footprint to help hold them to the build platform. It's not -ON- by default for most printer but some people use it a lot if they have lifting issues.
October 02, 2015 06:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login