Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer does not move to build plate when starting new part

Posted by CKYong 
Printer does not move to build plate when starting new part
September 29, 2015 10:12AM
Hi all,

So I just got my first 3D printer working, and it's printing fine right now for single parts.
However, when I want to print multiple individual parts, as soon as the printer starts the second part, it does not move to Z-home, but starts printing in mid air.
This results in a bunch of filament curling up randomly, wasting my filament and not giving me the desired part.

Anyone who had the same problem? I use a Prusa i3, running on Megatronics with Marlin, with Slic3r as the slicer, and Pronterface as the printing program.

Thanks!
Re: Printer does not move to build plate when starting new part
September 29, 2015 11:44AM
Do you have a good reason to print parts consecutively? Usually I print multiple parts at the same time, layer by layer.

The reason for the mid air prints might be the start/end gcode of slic3r. I believe it switches to "relative coordinates" at the end, but doesn´t automatically switch back to "absolute coordinates".
Just add :
G90 ;absolute positioning
in the beginning of the startcode and try again with two simple parts.

-Olaf
Re: Printer does not move to build plate when starting new part
September 30, 2015 06:39AM
Got it working by turning down the Z axis speeds. Apparently the speeds set in Marlin were too much for the steppers to handle. It moves to the build plate fine now. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login