Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is a good example of a properly printed side wall?

Posted by eatumup 
What is a good example of a properly printed side wall?
September 17, 2015 06:28PM
I am trying to get my new Prusa i3 calibrated right. I am getting nice square prints from my test cubes. The question I have is about the sides. I forgot my camera so I only have an older pic to show. this one has other issues but the layer lines on the sides are the same as what I'm getting now. . Should I be able to visibly see each layer in the sides? Just not sure how smooth the sides should be when its done.
Attachments:
open | download - 20150917_142518.jpg (57.2 KB)
Re: What is a good example of a properly printed side wall?
September 17, 2015 09:23PM
Your layer alignment looks good, though the wavy pattern shouldn't be there normally. The layer lines you see are typical of larger layer heights and nothing to worry about. If you want a smoother finish, use 0.2mm, 0.1, or even lower layer heights, but the prints will take longer to complete.

Here's a 0.1mm print:

And 0.2mm:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 09:30PM by AlexY.
September 17, 2015 09:30PM
I agree, looks good in general.
The misalignment could be from loose belts, bad layer adhesion (temp too low) or even extruding problems.
I would check with a lower speed to rule out extruder and temp first.
If the print looks much better check the belt tension and if your X-carrier or build platform are loose somewhere.
To find the right temp for a filament I do a bridging test.
If the filament drops the temp is too high, if the supporting pillars break upon bending them the temp is too low causing layer adhesion problems.
September 17, 2015 10:54PM
AlexY
Your layer alignment looks good, though the wavy pattern shouldn't be there normally. The layer lines you see are typical of larger layer heights and nothing to worry about. If you want a smoother finish, use 0.2mm, 0.1, or even lower layer heights, but the prints will take longer to complete.
Thank you very much for those examples. Now I feel like I can move on and focus on things like layer height.

Downunder35m
I agree, looks good in general.
The misalignment could be from loose belts, bad layer adhesion (temp too low) or even extruding problems.
I would check with a lower speed to rule out extruder and temp first.
If the print looks much better check the belt tension and if your X-carrier or build platform are loose somewhere.
To find the right temp for a filament I do a bridging test.
If the filament drops the temp is too high, if the supporting pillars break upon bending them the temp is too low causing layer adhesion problems.

The belt tension is right on. When I made that particular print I did not have anything in place to tension the belt. I have a nut that keeps coming loose from my right Z axis screw holder. I need to epoxy that in. Hopefully that will solve the gap issue completely.

Thank you all for your help
September 18, 2015 05:42AM
If the scrw comes loose on a thread try thread locker or a locking nut instead.
Otherwise, instead of epoxy use hot glue sticks - if you have to you can remove the stuff again, epoxy will be next to impossible to remove.
September 18, 2015 07:10PM
Downunder35m
If the scrw comes loose on a thread try thread locker or a locking nut instead.
Otherwise, instead of epoxy use hot glue sticks - if you have to you can remove the stuff again, epoxy will be next to impossible to remove.

Hot glue is a better suggestion. if that nut ever gets messed up i would have to replace the entire printed mount to fix it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login