Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help changing the bed home to 0,0,0 and making the printer remember where it was

Posted by ziconceo 
Need help changing the bed home to 0,0,0 and making the printer remember where it was
September 07, 2015 02:48AM
Hey guys I'm new here and have some problems I cant find the solutions to.

I set limits as to how far my printer head can travel like this:

// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 100
#define X_MIN_POS -100
#define Y_MAX_POS 100
#define Y_MIN_POS -100
#define Z_MAX_POS 185
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

This doesn't allow it to go past the bed perimeters when I manually control the movement which is great, however, when I press home the head will go to the right (x+) and slam into the side past my limits.

Another problem I'm having is every time I turn off my printer after a print, the printer forgets that it moved and makes the new location its new starting point. (the lcd says 0,0,0, even though its at say: 17,7,12)

Lastly, How do i make my printers home 0,0,0?

Any fixes for these? thanks!
When you hit home, it should move towards that axis' endstop switch. If it's moving in the wrong direction, you need to reverse the direction of that motor.

The printer resets the home location at the start of every print (one of the first commands is to home all axes), so if you have your endstops and motors configured correctly it should automatically set 0,0,0 on each print.
iron_dinges
When you hit home, it should move towards that axis' endstop switch. If it's moving in the wrong direction, you need to reverse the direction of that motor.

The printer resets the home location at the start of every print (one of the first commands is to home all axes), so if you have your endstops and motors configured correctly it should automatically set 0,0,0 on each print.

Thank you for the response! So just to be sure... my x axis is supposed to travel left when I hit the + control?

And I belive I stated my intentions incorectly, What I ment was I want the home to be 100,100,0 that way ittl go to the middle of the bed when I press home
Which printer are you using? Left could mean something different for you and me.

I'm fairly new to printing myself, but as I understand it home should always be 0,0,0 as this is part of how the printer calibrates itself to know where everything is.

Why do you want home to be at that position?
iron_dinges
Which printer are you using? Left could mean something different for you and me.

I'm fairly new to printing myself, but as I understand it home should always be 0,0,0 as this is part of how the printer calibrates itself to know where everything is.

Why do you want home to be at that position?

opps sorry, thats kind of important info haha

Prusia i3 ramps 1.4 board

I would like it to be that position so after I clear the bed of the previous print, hit "home" and the head will be ready for another print instantly. smiling smiley
That definitely helps, I have the same printer smiling smiley

I don't know if it's possible to do what you want, the home position is set when the endstop switch is hit.

You could try this:
Slicer settings
-> Printer settings
-> In the "start g-code" text box, remove the first line (G28), which homes the axes.

However I'd recommend just leaving it as it is, it was probably designed that way for a reason. At the start of every print there's usually a blob at 0,0,0, you'd probably end up moving this blob to the center of your workpiece where it could ruin your print.

You're realistically only saving about 30 seconds, which is insignificant if you're doing 1hr+ prints.
iron_dinges
That definitely helps, I have the same printer smiling smiley

I don't know if it's possible to do what you want, the home position is set when the endstop switch is hit.

You could try this:
Slicer settings
-> Printer settings
-> In the "start g-code" text box, remove the first line (G28), which homes the axes.

However I'd recommend just leaving it as it is, it was probably designed that way for a reason. At the start of every print there's usually a blob at 0,0,0, you'd probably end up moving this blob to the center of your workpiece where it could ruin your print.

You're realistically only saving about 30 seconds, which is insignificant if you're doing 1hr+ prints.

I actually dont have the g28 code haha here is what i have

;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
;Print time: {print_time}
;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0; home all axes
G21 ;metric values
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F{travel_speed}
;Put printing message on LCD screen
M117 Printing...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login