Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

At the end of my rope trying to print these... HELP

Posted by muntahunta 
At the end of my rope trying to print these... HELP
September 04, 2015 01:36PM
ok, I have this product in mind which I have modelled with many different logos and such, but I cant seem to get it to print in a usable state.

I've increased the width of the bar holding the structure up so that it isnt so brittle. but the main problem I am having is the supports for the lower part of the logo. I use repetier and with any settings i use, theres either too many supports (makes the logo horrible looking and the majority of the time snaps it off the structure trying to get the supports off) or too little and the logo just falls down and creates a mess.

Ive tied printing seperatly and joining together but that doesnt really work for this.

I print in PLA 1.75 using a .4mm nozzle and ive tried everything I can think of.
I wish i had multi nozzle and use PVA to melt supports, but i dont. I may actually look into this in the future but im out of funds and if I dont find a way of making these look good enough to sell, im in a bad position.

Any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - 625x465_3449303_10760855_1433518139.jpg (182.3 KB)
open | download - 11235442_10152738687886582_1324024113983072110_n.jpg (62.8 KB)
Re: At the end of my rope trying to print these... HELP
September 04, 2015 03:26PM
Have you considered 2 pieces? Seems like you would be better off with a platform plus a logo which are then connected with some type of metal or pipe.

Alternatively you could try something like meshmixer to try manually generating supports that might be easier to remove.
September 04, 2015 03:30PM
im going to try 2 parts (the logo and the stand) seperatly. its killing me figuring this out, ive already printed a dozen of these things and they wont work
September 04, 2015 03:59PM
The pole and logo will be much stronger and faster if printed flat on the bed. You could also add ribs to give it more strength. You can design a hole or clip on the base and glue or melt it in. If you've got a rotary tool you can do some friction welding.
September 04, 2015 04:29PM
ive tried printing flat in 3 parts, but putting them together was almost impossible. 2 parts may be ok, ill try it but im going to use a hammer soon haha
September 04, 2015 04:42PM

The pole and logo will be much stronger and faster if printed flat on the bed

Sounds like a good solution to me. Add a small cylinder to the candle holder base to push the pole into and you're done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login