Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inserting components in a print

Posted by hobby16 
Inserting components in a print
September 03, 2015 04:58PM
Hi all,
I am a beginner, I have started printing this week some samples on my brand new Prusa I3 (software : Repetier Host + Slic3r) which gives quite nice results.

My question is, and I am not sure to use the right words, how configure the slicer to generate code for prints that can include metallic nuts or pipes. The idea is to print half of the piece, pause the printer, then adding external parts like nuts, pipes or round on/off switches, then restart the printing to have those parts integrated into the print without having to glue them. Since they will be protruding before print completion, the slicer must generate paths that avoid areas higher than the head z level.
I have searched the Slic3r documentation but I can't find any functionnality to do that.
Is it at all possible to do such thing, maybe with Cura or other slicer ? Or am I just dreaming with impossible expectations ?
Re: Inserting components in a print
September 04, 2015 03:39AM
Cura has a "pause @ z " function, where you are able to stop the print, do your thing, and resume.
But the head will always move in the same z-plane, so the inserted part must not protrude above that plane.
-Olaf
September 04, 2015 10:36AM
I believe Slic3r also recently added a G4 command to pause the printer. Not positive though.

As for nuts, depending on the final design, I find it is better to heat up a soldering iron to melt the nut into the cavity provided for it then to mess with pausing the mid print and hoping everything fits.
September 04, 2015 10:51AM
Kurzaa
As for nuts, depending on the final design, I find it is better to heat up a soldering iron to melt the nut into the cavity provided for it then to mess with pausing the mid print and hoping everything fits.
Nuts are just an example. Heat inserting after printing will leave the the nut visible from the outside which is precisely what I want to avoid. I thought that people would use a sort of "lift and hop" function for the head to to avoid inserts' protruding areas.
Well no luck, so I think I would design inserts that must not protrude when inserted and pause printing only at such moments. It should work even if it's not quite satisfying for me.
September 04, 2015 08:07PM
Would this work? From the Pronterface GUI:

Pause Print
Move Printhead clear (eg Shift X axis a known amount - don't "Home" it)
Tinker
Move Printhead back (by reversing the previous shift)
Resume Print

Or does moving the Printhead under manual control kill the Print?

I would suggest you can design the part to allow your components to be positioned fully below the top surface when you place them, not protruding above, and then encapsulate them to finish the build.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
September 04, 2015 09:27PM
That method wont work if you're trying to embed a hex nut perpendicular to the bed, since the top gets narrower.
September 04, 2015 10:55PM
The recess can probably have vertical sides, it doesn't necessarily have to close back in on the cast-in item. When you start printing again, the next layer will probably melt down slightly over the embedded item, almost filling the gap, and securing the part.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
September 05, 2015 05:33AM
AlexY
That method wont work if you're trying to embed a hex nut perpendicular to the bed, since the top gets narrower.

I would rater try to find a square nut to insert, especially if you are going to attach something that needs to be real snug.
+ That way you could just pause at the appropriate layer, insert the "nut" and continue printing. If all is aligned well the coming layer would just land on top of the "nut" securely locking it into place
September 07, 2015 11:32AM
You can do it manually on repetier host:

When the print reaches the desired height, click the pause button.
Insert your components and just hit resume.

Note that if you pause for more than a few seconds, filament that is still in the nozzle will ooze out and form a blob at the current work position. You can prevent this by raising the z and retracting a bit (you can give manual commands while paused).

You should let the print go high enough that that inserts will be level with the current top of the print before pausing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login